1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you ever wake up paralyzed for a few seconds or minutes? (sleep paralysis)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lawrence, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's been a while since we had this topic and there are new faces around EC. Nowadays I don't get much sleep paralysis

Do you guys have any wild sleep paralysis experiences with hypnagogic hallucinations or hypnopompic hallucinations?

2. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get sleep paralysis sometimes but not the hallucinations. It always sucks. The weirdest one was the time I fell asleep on the couch, and rolled halfway off it with my face touching the floor and my legs still on the couch. Waking up paralyzed with your face smushed into the floor is pretty awkward.

3. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I have had it plenty of times, especially when I suffered from intense insomnia and it seemed like my body was trying to catch up on sleep everytime it could so I would enter the dream phase very quickly and would still be in it when I would wake up. I had both visual and auditive hallucinations and frankly it is terrifying, it did make my insomnia worse for a bit as I would be wary to go to bed.

#3 Lin1, Feb 24, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  4. BlueMonday

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's happened to me a few times. I've noticed that it happens more often when I don't sleep well.

5. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It has happened to me on the rare occasion. I have been known to wake up thinking I see someone (or something) in my bedroom or apartment. Also back when I was in college I lived in the dorms and they were do quarterly 7AM fire drills, as I was in the process of waking, my brain was telling me to get up and my body just couldn't for a few seconds.

6. Marz090

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Omg yes! It was so random the one time it happened, I've been trying to get back to that moment. About two years ago in February, I had a sleep paralysis. I know only because I felt awake the whole time and couldn't move when I tried and I remember trying to call for my Dad and I couldn't make a sound at all. They say sleep paralysis is the precursor to obe (out of body experience) or astro-projection. Hopefully it was a good thing for you. For me, I was scared. They say when you have sleep paralysis and you are afraid then you manifest your fears. If it happens to you alot just try and think of things that make you happy and see if you could astro project! Let me know if this works for you, I love hearing obe stories. lol I can barely lucid dream at this point

7. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Astro-projection is a myth. What sleep paralysis actually is from a neuroscientific level, is that during normal REM sleep the body automatically restricts muscle movement and paralyzes itself from the neck down because REM sleep is when most dreams happen, and your body doesn't want you to start acting out your dreams in real life which could cause you injury. To prevent that, it simply paralyzes your muscles so you can't. That part happens to everyone. The part that doesn't, is that in some people like me, when your brain ends REM sleep and wakes up it forgets to unparalyze the muscles for a minute or so which results in your brain being fully awake but your body still restricting its muscles.

What people think is astro-projection is actually just having REM dreams while awake, which has the opposite cause of sleep paralysis. Your muscles unparalyze themselves too early while your brain is still experiencing REM dreams, which makes the dream feel like real life because your body is able to move freely in the real world the same time the dream is showing you things like your manifested fears and things that feel like out of body experiences.