1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you ever forget that you are LGBT?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by fadedstar, Dec 3, 2017.

1. fadedstar

fadedstar Guest

I sometimes go through phases where I just forget about matters of identity and just feel generally human. I still feel different but only because everyone is. No two people on this Earth are exactly the same. I feel so free in those moments, No worries or stresses. I wish "coming out" didn't exist... I wish people were just allowed to be people and it didn't matter who you fell in love with. I wish I could feel that way constantly. I hope that's the direction humanity is moving towards.. Think about how absurd any of this actually is, that we (humans) exist at all, that any of this exists. I think sometimes people get so caught up in their own personal issues that they lose sight of the bigger picture. The way things really are. I think sometimes the "community" puts pressure on us to be more "special".. more "perfect" which is so unnecessary in my opinion...

#1 fadedstar, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2017
  2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All the time. I never forget I am attracted to the same sex, but I feel just as normal as straight people at this point that I see no difference between us.

3. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No. I have a crush on a woman I like, so I don't forget that. :slight_smile:
    Although I don't always feel connected to the LGBT community, I think I'm slightly more right than they are - although this depends on country (if I was in Canada I'd probably be middle-far right, but in the UK the equivalent is more to the center-left/right).

4. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    NobleShark....It's on my mind a lot, after denying it for 50+ years. But there are many times when I'm out running errands, etc. that my mind is elsewhere...until I see a hot guy! Then I snap right back!!! :slight_smile: .....David

5. jam93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    On the one hand, I don't think about it directly that much anymore. I don't obsess over it like I did when questioning, or worry about it like when I was planning on how to come out. So it's not front of my mind all the time, no. But on the other hand I wouldn't say I forget it either. I check out guys a lot now, and spend a lot of time thinking about the guy I'm crushing on. So it's rairly actually out of my mind.

6. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes... I think it is less of forgetting that I am LGBT than it is I'm alright with it to the point that it really isn't an issue anymore. I know who I am and who I love - and that is okay. When I was younger "being trans" really consumed my identity as a person. But today I just see myself as a regular guy who happens to also be bisexual. I don't really care about passing much either now, because honestly it never was about "passing" as a straight cismale. I'm just a bit different from other men. Take it or leave it.

7. BadassFrost

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like others said, I never forget about the attraction itself, but sometimes the fact that I'm actually a part of LGBT. Forgetting the attraction is almost impossible, that's like forgetting that I like chocolate :grin:.

8. Naters2000

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh geez. Quite literally all the time. Whenever I go out, girls give me sneaky little smiles and ask for my phone number. It’s only then when I think “you’re gay, Nate! Get your head in the game...”

9. E H Wildflower

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    In general, I think that labels are a kind of a two-edged sword. I love being a member of the LGBT community and I see that as my culture and heritage more anything to do with my ethnicity. And of course, that community wouldn't exist if gender identity and sexual/romantic orientation were non-issues, but at the same time, I recognise that labels can restrict and divide people, and maybe the world would be a better place if we could all just be.

Personally, I came out as gay/gynesexual four years ago, and since then I've realized that doesn't quite fit and tried on a number of other labels that I never made a big deal about. Regardless of what I call myself, I don't really date, and that's something that my friends and family generally accept and don't badger me about, so I often forget that I'm not "straight".
    [In that way, I guess I'm kinda the opposite of what some other people have said. My attractions, or lack thereof, are not something I think about much, but I rarely forget that I'm part of the LGBT community.]
    On the flip side, living in a culture that likes to classify people as "male" or "female", I'm not often allowed to forget that I'm neither of those things.

#9 E H Wildflower, Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  10. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Interesting question. I think about it a lot because whenever I see an attractive guy it reminds me that yes, I'm a gay man. But when I'm dealing with everyday situations I can forget it.

11. Nils

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I never forget that I'm a lesbian. But I do forget that being a lesbian isn't very common and that there are people who think it makes me disgusting and depraved. Usually these moments are brief and afterwards I'm hit with reality. "Oh, right. homophobia exists and straight people are the majority. I'm the weird one." (I dramatized this a lot, these moment's aren't really that crushing and soul destroying :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: )

12. BiDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sometimes I do forget about being LGBT+, but I always remember when people call me “she.”

13. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I forget when I am at work sometimes. Only a select few know that I am trans there. So, it comes up pretty rarely. Otherwise, everybody just sees me as being male.

It is a bit harder for me to forget when I am in my hometown. There are still some of my more masculine pictures of me from when I was female up. I don't mind them being up, it is just weird sometimes because I realize that used to be what I looked like.

#13 BradThePug, Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  14. SomeAverageBoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah very often infact. Mostly due to the fact that I’m obligated to focus on my straight side of my bisexuality in my real life, and also because I haven't really made an identity of myself being Bi, When I think of myself, “bisexual guy” is one of the last labels that come to mind

15. Necrose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess. I like women more than men, and my lack of willingness to be around people when I don't have to be means I'm not as heavily affected by the issues and struggles affecting more social LGBT individuals because of their sexuality or gender identity. When I see a guy I find physically attractive and his equally attractive girlfriend, yeah, it is at that moment I know am a bisexual man, but because I don't put that one aspect of myself out there for all to see all the time, presenting myself in any way other than how I feel comfortable just is not my thing, you know, there's a lot of people who don't know I'm bi and those who do don't see me as anything but me, so when I think about myself and how I act in regards to other people, my thoughts are of me being myself, not me as a bisexual man.

16. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To me it’s kind of hard considering the Supreme Court just might legalize discrimination against us if it’s done because of someone’s religion. The fact that we got 60% of the population to support same-sex marriage at the same time as millions of people think bigots should be able to say “We don’t serve your kind here” is a pretty stark reminder that it still sucks to be a minority in America today.

17. eMei

No. Being gay is a part of my identity... it's literally a piece of who I am. I don't want to forget that!

18. Rowe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do all the time with my gender. I'm so used to referring to myself as male and I'm still presenting as male, so I still do it to myself in my thoughts. I guess it is good that I don't accidentally call myself female or Madison though.

19. Steriorgon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Na...I always remember that

20. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What do you mean? I don't consciously think about it very much- I don't spend much time here, for instance, and only pop in sometimes to see how things are going. I can even look at guys and think, "wow, he's attractive" without thinking "yeah I'm 'supposed to be' attracted to girls instead".
    In terms of having to remind yourself, no.