1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you believe that something happens after death?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jon99, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Jon99

5 years ago my grandpa was in hospice losing his fight against cancer, most of my extended family was their with him. My cousins, brother, and I were hanging out in the lounge when one of my aunts called us over to his room, the nurse had told her that he would expire anytime soon, so we rushed in their to be with him in his final moments. We were all gathered around his bed for about an hour or more, until suddenly we all witnessed him draw his last breath, As everyone was dealing with the shock and sadness, I noticed some sort of ethreal-like blue mist appear above him immediately after he passed, I wasn't scared, but intrigued. The blue stuff floated above his body for a good few seconds before evaporating into nothing. I looked around at my family to see if anyone else noticed, I look at one of my cousins next to me and he just gives me a strange look, I knew he was looking in the same direction as me, so I think he might have seen what I saw, but we never talked about it afterward. For 5 years I kept it to myself because I thought no one would believe me, but fast forward to this year and I finally tell a cousin, my brother, and my parents about it. They found it to be interesting and my cousin looked the phenomenon up and it turns out that what I saw other people have seen as well when they have witnessed a death. My parents told me that it was his life force going to the other side, and that not many people can see a persons energy, they said I was lucky and that they wished they saw it too. The thing is five years ago I considerd my self an atheist, but after that experience, I more align with an agnostic mindset, but I still don't believe in any of the gods of mankind. Didn't grow up religious, my parents never took me to church, they believe in some sort of alternative spirituality and they think riencarnation is real, and that we can choose to reincarnate on any world in any universe, or stay in the after life which they believe to be another dimension. An interesting concept but I'm naturally still skeptical. So what do you think about what happened to me, and what are your views on death and the concept of an after life?

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm that person who believes after death is just "the big sleep". Eternally peaceful, and that's it.

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't fully explain what happened to you, but I very much believe in some sort of continuation beyond this life. I don't think death is the end. I can't explain what happens, how it works or where we go and I'm content to not know, but I do believe something of us continues. I know many people don't feel this way and that's fine because we all have a right to our opinion.

The psychiatrist Elisabeth Kubler-Ross extensively researched the subject of dying and life beyond death and you may gain some benefit from reading about her work. She wrote a number of books during her lifetime and they are still available.

#3 PatrickUK, Jun 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  4. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Just some things to think about....

Grandmother, age 102, to my father about a two weeks before she passed, "can you see them, their sitting on the couch, they are here to take me home."

Someone very close to me works in a hospital. A old lady sat up in bed one night, said "They are in front of my bed, can you see them?" laid back and passed.

The hotel I worked in, in the 1920's and 30's...the top floor was operating suites for the Mayo Brothers and basement was the morgue, the current maintenance shop area. Many nights I worked late always with the feeling that I wasn't quite alone.

I don't want to be freaky, but I believe as Patrick does.

Dean

5. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think our energy gets reused. Kind of like when we kill an animal and eat it, their energy goes into us, and we reuse it.

#5 Secrets5, Jun 30, 2017
  6. Limoriden

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You Join Kek in the afterlife, Obviously.

7. Drednaught

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a little confused by your question. What do you mean by, "Do you believe that something happens after death"? Are you asking if I believe that the universe keeps existing independently from me after I die, or are you asking if I believe that I will still have conscious experiences after I die?

8. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always believed that death is the end. We just eternally sleep but don't go anywhere.

9. jenne

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i don't think there is something after death.... i believe it feels just like before you were born..nothing!! everything ends..

10. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I definitely think there is life after death. Whether as angels in heaven or as ghosts roaming the earth, I think we continue on in some form.

11. NeonSocks

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I posted my belief on another thread but I will share it here as well. I am a strong believer that since energy can neither be created or destroyed, we continue to exist on some level after our bodies no longer function.

That being said, I have had a few similar experiences to what you referenced.

When I was 4, my parents took me, my cousins and my grandmother to visit my great aunt in the hospital one final time. I remember being scared so my uncle took me by the hand to another part of the room and when I looked back there was an aura of yellow and blue (almost sun reflecting off a window) over my aunt. She passed sway shortly after we left the hospital and that image is something that has always stuck with me.

In college, I had a pretty traumatic experience one night that left me severely depressed for awhile. During that time, I had a dream that my grandmother who had passed years before came to meet me and just told me everything I could possibly need to hear. She kept saying she was watching me and not to worry, some day I would find the strength I needed. She ended our conversation with a hug that felt so real and told me how proud she was of her girls (my sister, myself and two cousins). I woke up crying and could not shake the feeling that she was there, just when I needed her most.

Now these could both be situations where my mind has shown me what I needed or wanted to see, but there is a part of me that just refuses to accept that.

12. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm fascinated by this topic and I'm so glad we're writing about it!

I strongly believe that we are eternal and that one life is like a wave upon the sea. We go in and out of existence and it is literally an infinite process of birth, life and death. This of course is just my opinion cobbled together from my religious upbringing, my faith, and my own experience.

A few years ago a friend from high school passed away and I had no idea he was sick. We hadn't seen each other in over 15 years, when all of a sudden I got a pang of nostalgia and began thinking of him and high school. I had a dream where a middle-aged man (who I intuitively knew was him) was smiling at me, surrounded by soft light and a mist of grey. I was always attracted to him, so I (honestly) hoped the dream would take an erotic turn, like many dreams of him from long ago. In a very matter of fact but kind way, he simply said "This isn't that kind of dream." He smiled at me for a few moments as if trying to tell me something, and he was gone.

Three days later I found out that he had passed, and I think the timing of the dream may have aligned with his coma. During my pangs of nostalgia I downloaded a bunch of music from the 80s, so by the timing of those purchases I know I experienced this emotional flashback and subsequent dream as he was dying. Honestly, he'll never really know how much he meant to me, nor could he as a straight man. I'm embarrassed that he probably knows now all too well how I felt about him!

The guy pictured in the obituary was the same guy that I dreamed of, right down to the feeling and expression on his face. I had a perfect glimpse of him in my dream even though he looked very different than when I last saw him 15 years ago. I was honored that he said goodbye and it still gives me a feeling of awe.

In other experiences I knew the moment my dad passed, even though my sister and I strangely could not hear his wife beating on the hospital chapel door while we prayed. I've had other feelings that in retrospect may have been messages, but of course there is no conclusive proof.

For a while I became curious about the "near death experience" phenomenon. In this scenario someone is brought back from the brink of death through modern medical procedures and may recount a tunnel, light, a presence, life review, and other surprisingly common markers of these experiences. Without getting too far down this speculative journey I will say that the LGBTQ experience of near death is warm, welcoming, and without judgment for who we are. I won't go further here because it is such a broad and controversial topic, but you can find more by looking up "near death experiences" and IANDS, the International Association for Near Death Studies.

In short yes, I do believe that we are a small part of something much bigger, we matter, and in my opinion we are loved for who we are. For me personally this has been a journey of healing after years of religious abuse. If anyone has any questions or would like to write more please feel free to write on my wall or private message me.

*warm hugs to all*

Patrick

#12 Patrick7269, Jun 30, 2017
  13. Clinker

Clinker Guest

I like to think you carry on in another form. Weather it be reincarnation, regeneration, ghost, etc. However i like the idea that your conscience/soul/whatever, in a depleted state, leaves the body, recharges with universal energies and finds a new host (dont ask me about the details, im not to sure myself.) Best way i can describe it is like taking a rechargeable battery from on thing, putting it on charge, and putting it in a new item.

14. Qwertuvle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Decomposition...

15. Qwertuvle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In all seriousness, I dont believe in any particular afterlife. I wouldn't be very surprised if there was one, considering the vast amounts of things we don't know. That being said, I wouldn't be too shocked if the opposite was true, if we just died and that was it. Lack of shock in that case may have something to do with the end of my concious mind, but the point stands.

16. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Qwertuvle,

Why a lack of shock?

Patrick

17. Limoriden

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I honestly feel the same way

18. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh never mind. I think you meant that there would be no shock because consciousness would have ceased before one could be "in shock".

19. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There was nothingness before I was born, so I dont see why it would be any different after I am dead.

20. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people