1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you believe in an afterlife?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by armydude, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I believe that when someone is in a coma or near-death experiance, (reference: BBC, The Brain with David Eagleman, What is reality?) comes from the fact that the brain is still active, and like on Alcatraz where in the 'hole' they created their own vivid reality, the same thing happens. So when they claim to have gone to heaven, they have gone to heaven in their mind, and not a real, physical place. Although saying that, it's no less important to them than the Earth we believe we are in. Colour, smell and sounds don't exist outside our mind, but yet they still hold importance to us. But when we die, well, we're brain dead. Or are we? ... nobody can ever return to tell us. Unless ghosts are real, then they could tell us.

But we have a freedom of opinion unless it's hurting someone [UK], and I don't see how an individual's belief that afterlife exists can hurt another individual, unless they're forcing another to believe in an afterlife.

2. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The truth is that no one knows what happens when we die, even if they are truly convinced one way or the other. It's all about faith/beliefs.

In my opinion, death is the end. I believe we are simply non-existent when we reach death, similar to how it was before we were born. I think people have invented the concept of an afterlife throughout history. It's just a reassuring/happy thought that people believe in to deal with a loss.

3. Van

Van

The things religion makes people to believe in...

Nah, I don't believe in an afterlife.

4. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Kind of, yeah.

This thing is pretty interesting. [YOUTUBE]aXZOhqbQsOw[/YOUTUBE]

5. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Er, we can move it to ask an athiest thread if the people would prefer, but you're implying that you can't believe in something unless you believe in eternity?

6. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe I'll get recycled into something else living, or maybe several living things, perhaps as one animal or plant, perhaps as parts of several. But I don't know that I'll have any consciousness of this.

So you could say I believe in reincarnation, though not necessarily in a direct sense.

I wish I could come back as a Fossa, though! Or a ring-tailed mongoose, even, those are cute. But I'm not so sure one would be that lucky!

[​IMG]

Seems more likely I'll be scattered among several things...

#26 HuskyPup, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  7. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nope. I believe the afterlife is an entirely human-constructed concept. Yes, death sucks, but there's no getting around it, and the chances are astronomically low that anything comes after that.

8. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everything I know about consciousness indicates that life isn't possible after the chemistry of the brain goes south. So no, as much as I would like for death not to be the end, I don't believe in any afterlife.

9. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't say for sure that I know, but I think that in the end, oblivion is the most likely destination after death. I don't believe in an afterlife or deity, but if others do and that makes them really be a better person and have a coping mechanism for death, that's fine.

10. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I believe in one, not necessarily better or worse than this one though. And that doesn't mean I don't value the one I have right now.

#30 MCairo, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  11. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, I think it's mainly something people like to think about for comfort.

12. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope. I can see why people might want to believe in one, but I have never believed in it myself.

13. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Though the older one gets, the more appealing the idea gets, even to such a pessimistic skeptic as myself.

I'd be curious to see these replies, 10, 20, 30, 50 years later.

And still, all we can say is that we do not know, and in science, as in religion, philosophy, perhaps, there may be some value placed on not knowing.

14. timo

Yes.

I don't believe in an afterlife. It's much better to live your life right now to the fullest. And if I die and there happens to be something, well, it'd be a nice surprise :grin:

15. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's pretty legit.
    Some people say : yoo only make up an afterlife because you're afraid of dying.
    And I tell them I accept death with open arms, it's apart of life.
    Like you I am very nonchalant about the thought of death (now) but when I was younger I was really obsessed with wtf is gonna happen once my bod dies.

16. nowewillnot

nowewillnot Guest

no and it is the cause of so much dread no amount of "you'll become space dust and flowers and i think that's beautiful" can help. just constant low key existential dread and anxiety. welp time for a drink

#36 nowewillnot, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  17. alexandr

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know either way (or what kind of afterlife there might be, if there is one). Part of me hopes there is one, though.

18. rudysteiner

I do believe in an afterlife. When I was growing up, because I was in a Christian primary school, I was taught about Heaven. After developing my own mind, I've still stuck with the idea of Heaven, and even called it Heaven sometimes now, even though I'm not a Christian. I believe that there's an Elysian Fields of sorts, where everything is peaceful, just how you want it to be, when you want it, your own personal paradise.

Alternatively, I do believe in rebirth too. I think there's some science on the fact that when we die, we're reabsorbed into the atmosphere, which I think is nice. I also believe in reincarnation, but my own interpretation of it. That everything alive on this planet right now, is living their own life, while simultaneously living someone else's afterlife, if that makes sense. So.. I am living someone's afterlife, but also my current life. So is my dog, the three cactus I have in my room, etc. I don't know if this makes me sound crazy, but I have difficulty articulating myself verbally (and orally).

I believe that there is an afterlife, but I have more than one interpretation of it. I think.

I don't like the thought of being stuck in a whole in the ground until there's nothing left of me and that being that. Nor do I like the thought of my body being absolutely incinerated. I'd prefer the latter for obvious reasons but still, they both don't sit comfortably with me.

#38 rudysteiner, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  19. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Did you know that every tree is a nymph? Sometimes people scoff at me for saying plants are actually alive.