1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do trans folks appreciate the term pansexual?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ThxSens8, Mar 3, 2022.

1. ThxSens8

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know that the term bisexual can also mean an attraction to transexual people in addition to men and/or women. So of course a bi person can feel attraction to transexuals.

I'm just curious if transexual people appreciate it when someone identifies as pan, seeing it as an active statement of transexual inclusion? You know what I mean? Like bi means CAN be attracted to, whereas pan means IS attracted to because gender is not an issue.

Like do you feel immediately comfortable when someone says they are pan, but if they say bi you are still a little unsure?

2. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'll be completely honest with you ThxSens8 - I've never met anyone who's claimed they're pansexual

3. DragonChaser

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Umm... sure, I'll bite!

I'm both trans and pan. Why do I identify this way? I experience gender fluidly leading me to believe it exists on a spectrum rather than being a strict and exclusive binary.

As such, I have observed multiple genders exist beyond the two commonly established and I find a variety of them to be appealing. Since the only term thereby available to me is "pansexual" to express that concept easily without a detailed description of my sexual appetite, that's what I use.

If "bisexual" is an easier label for you, that's fine. I take no offense and will offer no correction, but I am a transperson, other transpeople excite me, and I'm personally not going to pretend that isn't real for someone else's comfort.

As far as other people's use of it, I know what they mean in general and it does, to me, indicate an open-mindedness on the subject of gender that I find desirable in a partner.

Does that answer your question or shall I be more pedantic? :smile_cat:

ThxSens8 likes this.
  4. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dont mind. I still consider myself bi even though Im only t4t these days. I'll be honest here Ive met a lot of bi people and literally all of them have been open to trans folks. Also trans women and men are just women and men, im a bit confused why they would be generally excludeed from the scope of bisexuality even if someone was bisexual in a strictly binary way.

From what I understand pansexuality is more about being outright inclusive of nonbinary identities (some identify as trans and some do not). I think its all kind of pedantic honestly as DragonChaser said. I think of bi folks as equally as likely to be into me as pan folks.

hope im interpretting your question correctly OP

#4 Batman, Mar 4, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
    Mihael, ThxSens8 and DragonChaser like this.
  5. ThxSens8

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, but I would love to hear more from you, so go ahead and be pedantic, sweetheart!

That is basically what I was wondering. The idea that pansexual is an outright declaration of trans and non-bianary attraction is important to me. I know that the term bisexual does not exclude that, but I like the idea that the label pansexual is a direct and obvious statement that I find trans and non-binary people attractive. You ARE beautiful people ❤

#5 ThxSens8, Mar 4, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
  6. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Transsexual" is an outdated term, by the way. It contains the "sexual" bit, which is confusing being transgender with sexual orientation or a sexual preference.

FoxFeathers, Batman and ThxSens8 like this.
  7. ThxSens8

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That makes sense. Thanks for letting me know. And you explained it in a way that I don't think I'll ever forget it!

Sorry to anyone if I offended!