1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do straight people turn gay?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Hope4love, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with what love4ever has written and not the mis interpretations here.

As a bisexual male that tried to fit in with the gay men for awhile at social functions I have been taken aback at the attitudes EXPRESSED about sex with women.

I have been made to feel like my sexuality is disgusting. It is so odd that a group of people that have been persecuted for their sexual practices would react this way.

Thing is. I don't feel that individually these guys feel this way. It's sort of a cultural thing in my experience...That sex with women is gross.

Love4ever. I don't think this is a battle that bisexuals can win. I'm learning that it is less disturbing for some straight guys that I have sex with men than some gay guys that I have sex with women! For some reason, some of the gay guys take it personally. I've been flat out asked why I would have sex with a woman after having sex with a man.

Very demeaning.

I understand the defense mechanism triggered and all that. I also understand the struggles of dealing with a society that does not accept them. But, it still hurts.

Love4Ever and Biguy45 like this.
  2. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you! I am glad you understood what I meant. That is what I was trying to get across. Not that in any way gay men should be ashamed of liking men.

#42 Love4Ever, Jul 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    Biguy45 likes this.
  3. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is definitely not true. Being bisexual DOES NOT make you disgusting at all. Those guys are just jerks to say stuff like that. Honestly, I think it must be so hard to be a bi man. For what it's worth, I am completely supportive of bi guys and would love to meet one in real life. Where I live I have only met gay men who were out and proud. So there are plenty of girls (and guys), who will love yo for you.

Biguy45 likes this.
  4. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually agree with this--as long as you take the proviso that you yourself provide: "for people who grew up in a place where the majority of people were straight but there was no shame in not being so..." The thing is, though, I don't know anyone who grew up that way. Utah in the seventies and eighties certainly wasn't that way for me. If you grew up that way I am genuinely happy for you--and more than a little curious where you grew up. I like to think that Chicago in 2018 is pretty close to that for me but people come on here all the time who are in Chicago and much younger than I am and they make it pretty clear it's not that way for them. I think you're right though that in that setting the type of thing I was describing wouldn't happen, and I actually think we're headed in that direction and may even get there some day. That's what I was referring to when I said that what I was describing would hopefully happen less and less over time. But I've seen no evidence we're there yet.

I feel like your argument is less an argument about the relative weakness of heteronormativity and more a discussion of the world after heteronormativity. After all, the "shame in not being so" is the normative part after all. But I agree that if we somehow move past heteronormativity we will also move past its effects. I hope we get there...

Love4Ever likes this.