1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do people suspect you're LGBT?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by CandyKing, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's a mix.

No - if based on just dealing with someone for a short time and they get a cursory look at my outward persona and general appearance

Maybe - if dealing with someone while patronizing a not necessarily LGBT business in a gayborhood or at the doctor's or dentist's office where I think my age, marital status, and being in a suit once led a hygienist to the very testy and irritating "Will you be going to Keeeeyyyy Weessssttttttt?" question upon learning of my vacation plans to go to South Florida.

Maybe - the few times I've been caught looking a hair too long

Yes - in work situations, the demographics have caused suspicion and have dovetailed into inappropriate behavior ... on the part of others. This is because, as one gay guy once said to me about this very situation, "People HAVE to know." If you think about it, people are so restless and almost agitated if they don't know the way someone leans sexually.

I am fairly private to begin with and I don't have anyone I'm involved with, nor did I at the time this was happening, so I prefer to keep my private life separate, especially at work where I may not socialize with my coworkers after hours, and, while that may not be the most popular stance here, that's what I prefer to do.

---------- Post added 22nd Dec 2014 at 08:22 PM ----------

Sort of like this, I believe.

2. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Are you the guy in the Avatar? He looks like an old actor from some action movie

3. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't get the chance to inquire terribly often, but I get the impression most people focus more on the "weirdness" (or to put it more kindly, "eccentricity") than anything orientation-related.

4. FlamingPenguin

All through High school people thought I was, but I denied it and dated guys. A couple years later and.... yeah I don't like guys all that much.

5. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

I hope not. I work hard to make sure people don't know. I've worked for the same company for 6 years now and I've only ever been asked twice. Once if I had a boyfriend and once if I was in a relationship. My response was "No."

Two years ago I became so paranoid that I "made" myself crush on a guy I knew. I was downright boy-crazy! I also jumped on the Daniel Craig bandwagon, Skyfall had just come out. I stopped after 6 months. It felt way too fake.

Since then I haven't mentioned anyone. Sometimes I wonder if they do know and that scares me.

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha. I wish. That could allow me to be a dimwit, just stand around and look good, collect friends, get laid easily, have things handed to me, and allow me to bypass developing my intellect. I'm kidding, of course. That's a stereotype that is applied to both good looking men and good looking women.

That is definitely NOT me. The little blurb near the av says that. That's Dan Payne, who I've only seen in the LGBT themed movie "Mulligans." It's not a particularly good film, but it's one that is easy to watch. At 6'4", he's probably a commanding presence. At 5'10" or 5'11", he would be spot on. *wink* I wonder who the actor in the action movie you are thinking about might be. I'd be interested in knowing if it occurs to you.

7. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

I honestly have no idea.. Could be the James Bond movies for all I know :lol:

8. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think so, no. Most people are surprised to discover that I'm gay.

9. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

Same.

Hell, apparently I'm the only one that thought I was being obvious all this time. Some will admit that before getting to know me they thought I was gay but, after getting acquainted with me, quickly discarded the idea, which boggles my mind given that I was under the impression it was the other way around. I love it.

10. BloodFlame

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Absolutely. I have an androgynous style and since the USA still has a big stigma on men who don't conform to gender roles, I'm pretty sure they know I'm gay by looking at me to which I just don't care anymore lol.

11. Kiwigirl18

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm completely in the closet, however my sister has asked me a few times if I'm a lesbian and told me that if I was she would be fine with it, my mum has also said that she and my dad would be fine if I was gay. But I always deny it as I hate confrontation and every time they ask I get defensive. My sister has even mentioned that our hairdresser asked her if I was gay, so apparently I must be horrible at acting straight.

My aunt also likes to remind me about how she thought my cousin was gay and how she has no problems with gay people. I think the only person in my family that doesn't suspect that I'm gay is my brother and that's probably because hes really homophobic. It's kind of a relief though knowing that the majority of my family would be supportive when I come out eventually.

As far as I know none of my friends suspect that I'm gay as none of them have mentioned anything.

#91 Kiwigirl18, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  12. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't conform to them as much as my outward appearance might suggest. That's why my answers ran from no to maybe to yes, depending on how well somebody knew me.

For a person to take up interests and hobbies, or abandon them, just to fit into what others think they should do and think would be one of the saddest things. I have never been able to stomach that one.

13. iiimee

People suspect I'm a lesbian... It really kills me inside to hear somebody call me a lesbian. Not because I am against lesbians, but because I am NOT female. However, sometimes I go out in public with guy clothes on and people mistake me for a male...

14. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The STBX uses it as an Accusation but i'm pretty sure she doesn't have a clue. my son, i think, has it figured out but we still need to have that talk after the divorce. at work i'm pretty sure that don't/won't catch on till i let them know or don't care anymore.

15. I'm_Danni_x

People usually think I'm straight untill I open my mouth and wear rainbow bracelets.

16. ecturtle

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    LGBT people assume I'm LGBT but straight boys don't. I think everyone would know if I started wearing a beanie everywhere because it makes me look super stereotypical.

17. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Absolutely.

I would estimate that 45-50% of the school knows, and that's a conservative guess. People have been hounding me about it since 7th grade, but to this day, I will deny it if you ask me. I think the only thing keeping me mostly closeted is that I'm afraid that my coming out would jeopardize the GSA I'm trying to set up, which doesn't help the rumors. Plus, there's quite a few of homophobic teachers and plenty of homophobic students to go around.

18. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not really. Only some LGBT people did.

19. Hetalian Child

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think anyone has ever suspected me as bi/something like that because I don't flirt with anybody/extremly shy. It might be a shock to some if they found out that I'm an androgyne because I usually wear dresses (although I never wear makeup). I'm not sure if my parents suspect anything because I never talk about girls(or guys for that matter).

I never suspected that an acquaintance/classmate of my was gay until he talked about accidentally coming out at the beginning of the year during math class. For all I know, one of my best friends could be a lesbian, and I might not know for years.

20. the haunted

I think it just depends on the day. Some days my style is masculine and "dykey" while other days it's more feminine. When I'm in my work uniform and everyone else is wearing the same thing, nobody assumes I'm gay. My coworkers know I'm gay, but customers don't.