1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I Pass? Tips on Passing in Public Appreciated! MtF

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by AlwaysPLUR, Jun 26, 2017.

1. AlwaysPLUR

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey there! Sooo I really want to go out to this LGBT club where I live, so I feel like I might have some wiggle room, but I still don't want to seem like just some guy in drag. I want to be feminine, and that takes a little work for me. I'm already someone with not-the-highest self esteem.
    So I need some honesty. Brutal honesty, if necessary.
    I'd appreciate any input or advice for my very first time going out dressed up!
    I thank you for any comments. Anything you have to say will be incredibly helpful.
    I've added a few pictures so you can see how I look with makeup. Feminine behavior could probably use some work, but I need more practice with that one.

Attached Files:

• b8.jpg
      b8.jpg
      File size:
      36.9 KB
      Views:
    • d1.jpg
      d1.jpg
      File size:
      66.9 KB
      Views:
    • d8.jpg
      d8.jpg
      File size:
      39.1 KB
      Views:
    • new4.jpg
      new4.jpg
      File size:
      29.5 KB
      Views:
    • new5.jpg
      new5.jpg
      File size:
      35.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Myles Kramer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Constructive: You definitely don't look like a guy in drag. You have noticeably femme elements in your makeup look, but you still look like, well, you but hotter! Usually drag artists' looks go out of their way to exaggerate an extreme level of stage-makeup femme-coding because it's a costume worn for a character that's supposed to be fake. Drag queens don't even look like their alter-ego characters, and their characters don't even look like real people. I think you erring on the side of a natural look over all, like in the photos, with pops of color works well to clearly communicate genuine femininity. If you looked at the rest of my advice and said "eh, you know what I don't think that's very helpful actually" you would go into that club looking great.

Criticism: one solid sweep of monotone dark eye shadow is a little bit '80s, what would go farther for passing would be lighter eye shadow and sharp, crisp liquid eyeliner + mascara (maybe some false eyelashes would really make this special!! sally beauty supply sells falsies that come in "feathers" so you get some nice femme eyes without looking like they are noticeably fake.) Your hair is PERFECT! however one more thing you can do to up your femme just one more level would be to really bring your hair to a short sharp point by your ears to frame your face like this. and like this. I know this sounds weird but having a clear little gap in between your hair and your ear helps with passing because it cleans up your beard line. Another hair passing tip is thinning out the shape of your eyebrows by plucking them from the bottom up so that they form a bent curve that sits on top of where your skull + cartilage has an edge for your eye sockets.

Additional info: I suggest cover girl 24 hour lipstick. It literally is 24 hour lipstick, it is not an advertisement, it is a warning. I could eat, drink, talk for 8 hours at work, brush my teeth, kiss and this stuff won't come off or fade (it didn't survive oral sex tho). Your lips were really working for you and using this product could mean that you don't have to worry about touching up your make up in the bathroom over the course of the night. Be warned tho, once it dries, its hard to fix when applying it so if you buy it, try using it a couple times before the night you go out. Another 'if'-- I also suggest religiously using chapstick on the night/ day before using it. I love this stuff, it is reliable and always gives me a great wow factor.

grass and Mihael like this.
  3. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Just because you're wearing makeup and my head reads makeup = probably a woman. I know it sounds horrible, but yes, it's tough to tell someone's gender once they put on makeup, even if they look more masculine without it on.

Your hairstyle, though, reads masculine or modern woman.

4. AlwaysPLUR

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks so much for all of this, it's super helpful for passing, and I'm glad to hear that I'm off to a good start! I'll look into the lighter eye shadow. I knew the bright sparkly eye shadow was a bit over the top, so I'll do less when I'm trying to blend in a little and I'll check out some falsies.
    And thanks for the hair compliment, those two girls look beautiful! I've always loved short hair on women. I'll certainly trim up my hairline like that. And I've already thought about going somewhere to let someone trim up my eyebrows (it would be horrible if I butchered them myself >.<).

And I don't know about 24 hour lipstick, because I can't exactly be a woman some days at work and a man other days. If I was fem 24/7 then that would be perfect!

But overall, thanks so much for the well-thought-out reply, it was awesome!

Myles Kramer likes this.
  5. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow! You pass and look great! Seriously.

I agree with what Myles said about make-up and eyebrows.

Hee hee, this is why I wear make-up. Paradoxically.

6. grass

grass Guest

Make your eyebrows thinner (but not scrawny) and more arched, find a good natural cut-crease tutorial (magenta/purple is a good color for the lid), and if you're not wearing a wig, part your hair or slick it back like portia de rossi.

7. Myles Kramer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you look great and you will find exactly the good time you need at a lgbtq club. Come back and post progress pics! We're rooting for you!

8. Myles Kramer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Only issue with slicking your hair back is showing male pattern baldness, I thought the bangs were really working for her :^\\

9. grass

grass Guest

hm, yeah

10. Myles Kramer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Make sure you go in knowing exactly what you want with pictures tho, salons can be kind of intimidating but seriously you can pencil out some general markings of what you want on yourself and make sure they get it before letting anyone touch your face. (Pencil out a tick mark to indicate the thickness and another tick mark to show where you your eyebrows to end plus pictures to show what style you want) I'm learning how to do cosmetic things for myself that affirm me bc first of all I don't have the money for it and when I have dumped some change into it stylists can be straight up be transphobic fucks or just subconsciously assume they 'know' what you want to look like bc they think you ought to want what people in a gender designated at birth should look like. I don't want to put you on edge but it's better to come over prepared and make sure you get what you want than under prepared and end up paying someone else to butcher you.

11. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Your bangs are really good but what I noticed is that in the sideburn area you probably could grow your hair a little longer and have it cut pointed.

What you probably shouldn't do is go shoulder free. I saw some dress-like shirts that go wider on the hips which could suit. And do you know the shirts that have belts on the waist? Those can give you a very nice feminine curve since you are slim.