1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I message him?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by lovetoomuch, Nov 12, 2018.

1. lovetoomuch

Hi everyone, I was looking for some advice if you think I should take the leap and message this guy.

So, this guy was my first crush ever, back in 4th grade - lol. I had this strong crush on him until about junior year of high school, when I then started liking / discovering other guys. I haven't been solely focused on him these past few years like I was when I younger; if I run into him in my town, then I'll usually think about him. We would typically just exchange a quick "hi" if we see each other.

Since we were younger, a lot of people have suspected him to be gay or bi. People based this off mannerisms I guess. It is not blatantly obvious or anything, as he was one of the "popular" kids growing up. A lot of people just had this feeling. Personally, I have no evidence as well but I have always had this feeling he might be bi.

He has had an on-and-off again girlfriend the past few years and I honestly have no clue if they are together right now. They seem to unfollow each other on social media all the time.

Lately, I have wanted to take a risk and direct message him. I wouldn't go in flirting with him, but I would hope to start a conversation and then feel it out.

Part of me thinks "why not" and just message him - the worst that happens is he doesn't respond. He is aware I am gay, so he can choose to respond or not. Part of me thinks it would just be weird though. Well, I know it would be weird, but I don't know another way to get in touch (I'll run into him once a year in person if I'm lucky).

I just don't know if there is a better way to approach this. Thanks for any help!

*Also, in terms of being into me, I don't have definite signs. One time we ran into each other at my job and I was of course a little shy / quiet because I'm attracted to him. But I also noticed he was the same exact way, as he couldn't really make eye contact with me.

Additionally, we follow each other on social media and he always views my stuff / is one of the first people to view it.

That is by no means flirting, I know - lol. As I said, I kind of just want to know if you think it's ok to take this risk.

#1 lovetoomuch, Nov 12, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see no reason not to message him. If nothing else, you could develop a friendship. The key here is... what's your intent? If you'd be OK simply having a new friend that has no interest in a relationship or a hookup, then everything's good. If you would be upset or crushed if he's not interested, then you need to consider that possibility before reaching out.

3. lovetoomuch

Thanks for the response! I'm so far passed it that I would not be crushed. If he wanted to just be friends, I would totally be for it.

It's one of those things that I think I would regret if I did not take a chance. I just feel weird sliding in someone's direct messages when we haven't talked in a while - lol.