1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do i let my exchange student know im queer

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by emma1200, Jun 12, 2019.

1. emma1200

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    this summer i’m having a girl from montreal stay with me for a week bc she’s doing a dance camp in my town and needs a place to stay (since it’s my home studio my director asked me if i could house her). she’s around my age and i found her instagram and she seems pretty nice and normal. i’m in kind of a weird situation though because my dance friends know i’m queer but my home friends and family don’t and she will be interacting with both sides. i’m not sure if i should mention that i’m queer or not especially since she is staying in my house (i don’t know how accepting she is and i don’t want to make her uncomfortable or if she gets upset about it and maybe puts me because she doesn’t want to stay in my house). but if i don’t tell her she might figure it out on her own bc of the conversations i have with my dance friends bc some of them are queer as well.

trying to avoid awk confrontation and since i don’t know her i have really no idea how she’s going to react.
    any advice would be really appreciated

2. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you want her to know ?

3. Cind Ace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi,
    Thats kinda awkward but for me if i were in your situation i think i would talk to her about it,I dont know ,i feel like as much as i dont want anybody to know my business it is also the same as i dont owe anyone an explanation about my real life either.
    You can act freely when you being real out there and if you try to hide it first theres tendency itll be more obvious and awkward on how you react with each other if you want to know her.

4. emma1200

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don’t necessarily want her to know but because she will be hanging out with me and my friends I feel like she’ll figure it out based on conversation and whatever. I’m just not sure if I should be upfront with her at first and just let her know in the beginning. I just don’t know her views though because I don’t know her yet.

5. Cind Ace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well yeah not necessarily only when the situation presents itself then i think you be ready to tell it all though. Ive dealt like thAt same feeling even if ive known the person or not ,coming out or if they simply find out my new me its just not as easy as we think but youll find a way through awkward situation and i hope itll get easier for you Emma

6. emma1200

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    thank you, you’re right, i will probably have a better idea of what to do when i meet her for the first time.
    hank

Cind Ace likes this.
  7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I think the suggestion to wait and get to know her first is a good. There is no need to share everything upfront, unless you are comfortable with sharing it.

That said, you can also just let it come up on its own. Sometimes, if you worry about an issue too much, they become larger than they actually are and it could create even more awkward moments. If it comes up during a chat with your friends and the exchange student says something you can take it from there. In some ways, it could also be a great experience for the exchange student (depending from where they are from), to see that you are having conversations with your friends freely and can be yourself around them.

8. Rin311

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I second the idea of getting to know her first. I would also let it come up naturally, if she hears it from your friends or whatever. It would make the situation feel more normal and natural than if it had been intentionally brought up.