1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I have to be uncomfortable in my body to be a demigirl

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Omnopus, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Omnopus

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I posted a thread about this before, but I focused on multiple things in that post. This is over my greatest inquiry: Do I have to have body dysphoria not to be my birth gender? I believe I'm a demigirl, and I would prefer being called by they/them pronouns, though I'm still okay with she/her. I must know, whoever, If I must be uncomfortable in my feminine body to not be a girl, or if I need to be uncomfortable.

Thank you for your help!

2. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There are a lot of people who want to police what identity people are allowed to use or call themselves (largely cis people and gatekeepers though even some people who are trans). I think that labels are for communicating to others how we see ourselves. If demigirl says to others what you want about yourself then it is perfectly fine for you to use it. Also, regardless of the label you use whatever pronoun you want others to use should be respected by them (though often people will not be respectful). If you want to use they/them then do so. How you present to the world or feel internally about your own body does not matter for that.

A minor detail about how I see things and the language that you used. A person birth assignment is about their sex not their gender. Gender is who you are internally and who you see yourself as, no one can declare that about anyone else (though society does assume that gender and sex always align which is a major part of the problem).

Red Sun, Volnev and Omnipus like this.
  3. Volnev

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Short answer, I don't think you have to hate your body to not be your birth gender. There is a lot of discourse surrounding it, but the way a lot more people are seeing it now is more about what makes you the most comfortable instead of what makes you uncomfortable. Like you said, you may not mind she/her pronouns but they/them makes you more comfy and happy, so then use those! Gender is complicated and putting rules on it doesn't help anybody, it simply confuses people. Whatever makes you feel the best and like yourself is what you should use :slight_smile: