1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do crushes on fictional characters mean anything?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by ilovesg, Jun 24, 2016.

1. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I consider myself a lesbian but I am obsessed with Mulder from X Files (lol). I usually don't have crushes on male characters but for some reason I really like him. I don't crush on guys in real life, its just him. It's like I'm gay except for him. Is that weird? I can't see myself with a guy, but if he was real I feel like I could date him. Maybe I just like him because its safe - I don't have to ever actually have sex or anything its just harmless you know? I don't know.

2. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    From my experience, they CAN mean things (Literally I'm in love with every one of Rick Riordan's characters and it's not okay, like can I date all of them please) but they don't always do. Perhaps you find his personality attractive?

But that aside, you have to remember the Kinsey scale and that sexuality is not black and white. I know many lesbians who have dated men before, simply because they're exceptional and an exception :slight_smile: I wouldn't worry about it hun <3 Hugs!

3. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I do like his personality! I think its because we are very similar. I don't like guys in real life so I guess thats my answer lol. Thank you!

4. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They don't necessarily mean anything; I mean occasionally they can be an indicator but only if you think they are an indicator. Sometimes we just really like fictional characters because we relate to them, or they're kind of a safe crush to have - especially in the context of compulsory heterosexuality, liking characters of another sex can sometimes be a certain type of bargaining/having a safe crush. The significance might be slightly different if you like a character of the same sex, but that's not really your question in this scenario :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I guess it can be a bit complicated, but it doesn't have to be something to stress about!

It's more important to focus on real life and who you're attracted to and interested in. Celebrities/fictional characters are just a sort of sidenote to that; you can use them for reference, but most of the significance lies in your real life interests and who you see yourself being with, etc. There's really no be-all end-all answer sometimes.

(And welp, it's kind of ironic here because Mulder's my avatar :lol:slight_smile:

If you're not interested in guys real life and you can't see yourself with a guy, then there's your answer! Don't stress too much :slight_smile:

#4 Alder, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  5. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    lol i like your avatar! :wink: and thank you! in real life im not interested in guys so i think he is the exception and not the rule

#5 ilovesg, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  6. MrHojalata98

Also remember that sexuality is fluid. Rarely is any one person 100% gay or 100% straight. In my 18 years of life I really cannot recall a single moment where I've been aroused by a woman. And yet that doesn't mean 5 years from now I won't bump into a girl on my way to work and find out she's the love of my life. Be open to the possibility of anything, I promise it's a lot less stressful than having to wonder if every little stray thought or "heterosexual dream" means anything. Go with the flow. You like what you like, whatever that ends up being.