1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do cis people ever think they're trans?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by tone, Jun 11, 2014.

1. tone

This has been a question that i've had ever since I began doubting my identity. Do people who identify as cisgender ever doubt their gender? I asked some of my cis friends a while ago and they all said they've never doubted that they were female.

I know there has to be at least a few cisgender people who thought they might be transgender, but is that really uncommon? This was one reason I started thinking I was trans, because it seemed like it would be really weird for someone who was cis to seriously think that they were trans.

Any thoughts on this?

2. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It can happen but is extraordinarily uncommon. The best way to really understand your feelings might be to see a counselor with experience with transgender patients.

3. Acm

Acm Guest

I think it does happen sometimes but I don't know how common it is. There are various reasons why someone might think that (gender roles maybe), but in my opinion if someone is constantly struggling with their gender identity and questioning it they're probably not cis.

4. ProtegeMoi

I think some might wonder, but very few would join a forum or see a therapist. Of all my friends in the lgbt community only one of them had known another transperson. So I'd venture to say among cis people it has to be extremely low OR numbers are skewed because of people not being open about asking.

5. tone

That's pretty much what I was thinking, if someone questions it once or for a little bit, that would probably be possible for cis people, but actually questioning your gender for a long time probably means you aren't cis. After questioning my gender for a few months now and stressing about it, I figured if I was legitimately considering being trans for this long, I probably wasn't cis.

6. JennyKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm really not even sure. I'm feeling more over time that I'm probably not really trans. But idk, it's hard to figure out.

7. earthlvr510

Probably not that common but yeah it does happen. One of my best friends questioned her gender for a while but decided, in her words, that she loved being a girl. It happens but the vast majority of the time if you are questioning your gender, your trans in some way.

8. Acm

Acm Guest

I felt the same way as you when I first began questioning, I was really worried that I might just be cis and confused but it went on for so long and I couldn't stop thinking about gender stuff and I realized that no cis person would do that

9. Unkempt Harold

I had the same thoughts and I started questioning. Buy WAAAAAAY to many past signs have cropped up. Even from my earliest memories. Def not cis XD

10. wanderinggirl

I think I thought about it one time and then decided I wasn't. I only thought about it because (this might be tmi but) i have a somewhat large clitoris and I remember it grew in adolescence and I started worrying it was becoming a penis. But it never did, and I never had an issue with my gender identity after that.

If you're questioning, you're completely in the right to take that feeling seriously; you're right, cis-gendered people don't usually question it.

11. stormborn

hey, now. i wouldn't say that it is "extraordinarily uncommon." i think cis people question their gender, as people question their sexuality. it's typically very early in life, as we are exposed to gender very early on. questioning sexuality is usually later, as we aren't exactly exposed to sexual relations when we are four.

many people doubt their gender identity, and how they fit within that identity. they may not consciously question it (no one ever really asks you what gender you are), but they push the limits nonetheless.

12. Nick07

They do. It's probably hard to tell though where the grey zone between 100% cis and trans begins. Does it start with the first doubt? How long do you need to question it to actually be trans? Because every trans person thought they were cis in the beginning, until they learned they are not. IMHO