1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussions of religion, atheism, and EC policy

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Chip, Aug 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This post is directed to those who start and participate in threads having to do with religious belief or non-belief.

We've had a few good threads where people could respectfully discuss different beliefs without it degenerating into name-calling or telling people they're going to Hell for not believing, or that they're delusional for believing in a man in the sky, or whatever. Unfortunately, most degenerate into angry posts hurling insults at one another. This isn't OK.

The bottom line is, a theist will not be able to convince an athiest that religion is real, or exists, or is sensible, and an atheist is not going to be able to convince a theist that religion is a waste of time.

Each person is entitled to hold his or her own beliefs, and on EC, our code of conduct requires that people be respectful of other people's beliefs.

It does not matter how strongly you are convinced that there's zero logic to support the idea of any supreme diety, or how deeply you've felt the connection and spirit of God in your body to convince you that God is real. Neither of you will ever convince the others.

So, to conform to our CoC policy, and to facilitate a welcoming and respectful community, it is absolutely imperative that people stop making belittling remarks toward each others' beliefs or non-beliefs, tell them they're delusional or that they're going to hell, or otherwise personally attack them. (This, by the way, applies in many situations, not just in religion.)

It is one of the mods' least favorite tasks to have to go through and edit these threads, PM the offending posters, and try and soothe people. Each of you who post can help by not responding in anger to a post, not resorting to personal attacks, calling people "buffoons" or "assholes" or "ignorant" or anything of the sort.

If you feel anger as you're posting... stop, take a break, wait, and then think about how you can say what you want to say without offending the other. If you can learn to do that... you'll make our jobs a lot easier, and make the community a much more pleasant place to be.

2. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you Chip, for posting. :slight_smile:

3. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  4. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I understand what you are saying and I think it's important not to upset anyone about religion and your right about attempts to convert. However it is important to remember that religion is the main source of homophobia or a least the biggest excuse for it. So it's difficult not to criticise it. Besides why should religion be immune from criticism as long as it's not personal.

5. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't get why it has to be such a knock-down-drag-out debate. Can't we just choose our words differently? This is why a lot of atheists (including myself until not that long ago) think Christians were incredibly stupid and ignorant, and a lot of Christians think atheists are stupid and ignorant because they spew nothing but hate and vitriol in a debate.

6. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I doubt that anyone at EC is homophobic. And there are a lot of people at EC who are religious. There are plenty of churches (MCC being the biggest one) that are openly welcoming of gay members. So we can't paint with a broad brush.

I regularly talk about right-wing Christian homophobic bigots, and refer to them as "asshats" and the like. That is a subclassification of "christian", and those people do promote intolerance and bigotry. But there are many, many other Christians that are loving and nonjudgmental. So the point is, we can't label all Christians, or even the religion itself, as problematic because there are many in it who are not, and are working to change beliefs, both within and outside of the church. And that's part of the reason why at EC we need to be tolerant of the beliefs of those here who are Christian, because as I said, whether or not we may agree with their religious beliefs (or any beliefs for that matter), they're entitled to hold them, and they are not the ones who are being bigoted and homophobic.

7. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is very true. And we've had a number of good threads here (unfortunately they are dwarfed by the ones that go south) where people have been respectful and nonjudgmental. If we can have these discussions without their getting heated and offensive to others, then I don't think anyone on staff has any objection whatsoever.

8. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    Sigh, it's too bad that people can't be civil in these types of situations.

9. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This gets annoying. Thanks for posting. I sympathize.

My philosophy: You aren't going to convince me, I'm not going to convince you. I will talk to you if you ask me directly, or if you seem like you need answers, but i will always ask first.

Full tolerance is key to a Civilized Society -whether real or digital.

10. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    Oh my gosh, I that was so amazing that I think my neighbor peed himself without even reading this.

11. totarks

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    very like..:slight_smile:

12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This was desperately needed, and some people of all faiths or none really need to keep it civil. Thanks for posting this, Chip.

13. Owen

This thread has been locked because it is not the place to discuss/debate our policy on these discussions (which is not up for debate). If you have any questions or concerns about this policy, start a thread in Ask the Staff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.