1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Climate Change

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LostInDaydreams, May 22, 2021.

1. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello all and welcome to June’s discussion thread!

This month we are focusing on Climate Change and specifically on things that we could all potentially do as individuals to help address climate change. It doesn’t matter how big or small the idea or action is! Share it below and it might inspire somebody else to think more about climate change or try to do things differently.

We would like to hear about:
    • Any changes that you have noticed in your area as a result of climate change
    • What you currently do to help address climate change
    • Any challenges that you have faced and any top tips
    • Things that you plan to future to help address climate change
    We understand that people can have strong feelings about this issue, but please remember to keep the discussion calm and respectful of other members’ opinions.

2. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I think the pandemic has shone more of a light on climate change. Scientists have been warning about the possibility, probability even, of a global pandemic for years. For some reason, everyone got kind of numb to the concept but now everyone realises that the threat was real and that the global population aren't invulnerable. I hope that people don't repeat the same mistakes when it comes to climate change.

On a lighter note, I think it's interesting here in the UK to hear our parents stories about deep snowfall but it's nothing that I've experienced in my lifetime!

3. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Over my lifetime of over a half century I have noticed that it has gotten generally warmer. This is not to say that before there were never any hot days or that now there is never any cold days but that in general it is warmer. (the science backs me up on this)
    It is looking as if the area that I grew up in is experiencing a long cycle major drought which is more likely a part of a larger cycle than anthropogenic heating but the extra heat does seem to be making the resultant fires even worse than they would have been without the anthropogenic effects.

The only thing that I specifically do to have a lower impact on the climate is that the power that I buy I get from a company that uses 100% renewable generation (Wind, Solar and Hydro).

Other things that I do which help are
    I am vegan (other than traveling less by airplanes specifically this is the largest impact that anyone can make but I do it for other reasons, being climate friendly is just a bonus)
    I do not own or drive a car. I travel mostly by foot or tricycle. If the weather is very rainy I take the bus. For medium distances like to a nearby city (50+km) I take a long distance bus. For long distances I go by train.
    All of the lights that I have other than the installed ones in the apartment are LED (the installed ones that I cannot change are fluorescent).
    I recycle what I can and compost.
    I buy many things bulk and I cook scratch which means producing less waste (from packaging etc).

My plans for the future are to keep doing the things that I already do.

4. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The main thing that has changed here is the intensity and duration of winter. The winter cold used to start Novemberish and often some snow was still on the ground near the end of April (vs this year, where I think it was all gone sometime in March). We still get some very cold and/or snowy winters, but they are less frequent and reliable.

For the most part I really try to reduce how much of [things] I use. I have a bunch of glass pyrex/tupperware containers I take my lunch in and am doing pretty decent at avoiding single use plastics/garbage. I try to use [certain types of] grey water for things like water my houseplants/garden plants. Using electricity off-peak is apparently better for the environment (and cheaper here!) and works very well with my nocturnal sleep schedule lol

5. SteveBi45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think we can all do more to reduce what we waste and also recycle, but I think more needs to be done to highlight and shame companies who need to do more. For instance I recently bought something in my local supermarket that was packaged 3 times! First a fancy paper box, then all food pieces were packed together in plastic and inside this, smaller food pieces were again wrapped. This is where a big problem is.

6. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    On a personal level I have become a vegetarian. It wasn't easy because I actually liked the flavour of meat, but we now understand that intensive farming of animals for meat is having a detrimental effect on the world environment. It raised some eyebrows within the family, many of whom come from an agricultural background, but I still eat dairy produce and farmed vegetables etc. so I'm not killing off their livelihood.

I was going to change my car this year, but decided to hold off for a while in the hope of buying an affordable hybrid or electric car in a few years time when range and reliability issues are sorted out and plug-in networks are better established. If I bought a new car now it would have to be a petrol/diesel car.

Apart from that, it's about recycling more, consuming less (especially plastic and cheap clothes) and being more energy conscious. I also support a charity the creates and preserves woodlands.

All small things, but it's about collective effort. Climate change is not a myth that we can choose to ignore. It's very real and it's with us, right now. Any politician that thinks otherwise should not get close to power.

7. SteveBi45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You do know the impact that producing batteries for electric cars is having on the environment? It's not a sustainable solution and currently it's estimated that you will need to drive the car for over 200,000km before it starts to balance it's environmental impact?

I've spoken to a few people working in this industry. They say it is a temporary solution until they can find something sustainable.

8. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Car ownership in any form is bad for the environment, but I am under the impression that electric cars are the lesser of two evils. As it is they are too expensive and still have range issues.

In the ideal world I wouldn't have a car at all. I really don't enjoy driving, but it's something of a necessity for me.

9. SteveBi45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Absolutely true. I'd love to take more public transport where I can reduce by carbon footprint, but it's not always possible. But for each journey I do try to look at which option is best.

10. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Last year we had drought & bad wildfires here (worst in state history), parts of the mountains still have drought issues this year (and the long-term forecasts show it going atleast until the end of August).. Where I'm at its actually been wetter than normal this spring. Personally I don't blame 'global warming' or anything for the on-again/off-again drought cycles we've had over the years, its been going on for a long time.

The only thing that "seems different" between when I was a kid and now is not that its any colder or warmer, but its like the seasons have all shifted by 2-3 weeks later (basically they're still the same length as before, just delayed start/end). Again I don't blame any climate-change stuff, its probably even just a figment of my imagination.

No real plans to change anything I do.
    I've recycled for a long time, and will continue to do so...its one of those things I do "just because".
    I will continue to use "real lights" - incandescent bulbs and fluorescent strips! (only place I'll use LED is Christmas lights - simply because I like the colors :lol: but that stuff hardly counts at 'lighting' )
    If what I want in solar ever comes out (and at a reasonable cost) I would install it (doing the work myself)...I'll admit though that the primary reason would be to cut down the electric bill .lol. but would have that side benefit that I'd be using 'clean' power. :slight_smile:

I grow some of my own vegetables in summer, which I guess saves getting 'em from the store...but its done more because I like growing plants, and also truly fresh homegrown veggies :slight_smile:

11. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Note: the long-term(may 20 - aug 31) drought forecast I mentioned above.
    (like I say, I personally won't call it 'global warming' or 'climate change', but others might)
    What can be agreed is: all that brown (drought) area is not a good thing...

Attached Files:

12. MikeL1962

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Everyone seems to beat up on Cars, this and that..but the real problem that would have the greatest positive impact would be less people. When animal are over populated they burn through their resources and nature takes care of it. I really feel we are looking at the same thing..just because we are human doesn't mean we are above nature.

13. SteveBi45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think it's a combination of over population but also the consumer market these days. When I grew up, if you damaged your clothes/shoes, you got them repaired. My father went through his whole adult life with 2 pairs of shoes - 1 black, 1 brown. He would always take them to the shoemaker for new soles/heels.

I know that's an extreme example, but today, people just throw things away and buy new ones if something is damaged.

I read a book once on the theory of modern medicine and our aim to "save humanity". Take the corona virus for example - 100 years ago it was a larger disaster. Throughout history, a disaster similar in impact occurs every century and acts as a natural way to control the population. Perhaps by us having vaccines we're in some ways going against nature and the natural survival.

14. MikeL1962

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're absolutely right..we are a throw away society...alot of products have a life span engineered into them..I can think back on products growing up that were almost indistructable... they're no longer made and we're discontinued due to it...

15. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Often people throw things away that are fully functional just because they are bored or just want the newest version.

I do not think that erasing a large part of the population is a practical idea. Who decides which half of the human race dies? Logic states that the ones who consume the most should. Sadly those are the ones with the most power and thus would not be the ones to go. Wiping out those on the bottom would not be very effective either, they produce the least waste but without them to do the "grunt" labor industrial society could not survive.
    Those who consume the most really need to be the ones to reduce the effect that they have. If privileged people do not change their habits and soon then things are going to balance out on their own, to the detriment of all advanced forms of life on the planet.

16. MikeL1962

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It may not be practical, but I'm just saying it would make the most positive impact....

17. SteveBi45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My point was - it used to be left to nature to decide, but human intervention to save humanity may actually be more damaging in the long term.

I agree that the over-consumers should change their habits, but I seriously doubt this will happen too.

18. MikeL1962

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Right on....

19. MikeL1962

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think nature will still take care of it. Most animals adapt..we don't.. we've always made nature adapt to us....it'll happen but I think in a very dramatic way....

20. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Any volunteers to self reduce the human population? Or self deny all medical treatments and comforts of advance civilization? I didn't think so.

#20 QuietPeace, Jun 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2021