1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disappointed in Sam Adams :(

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by beckyg, Jan 21, 2009.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    As some of you might have heard, Sam Adams (Portland's openly gay mayor, and first openly gay mayor of a major U.S. City) is involved in a scandal involving sexual relations with an 18 year old that he lied about and tried to cover up. I think that an investigation should definitely happen to make sure that he didn't commit any criminal activity. I'm very disappointed though. Sam has been a huge influence on the gay community and gay youth in Portland. Its very disheartening.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2009/01/adams_lied_about_mentoring_you.html

2. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Welcome to politics...trust no one, and nothing.

3. TheRoof

ooh i just read about this on Times article. it is very disheartening :frowning2:

4. Triggs

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suppose no inquiry will ask WHY anyone felt the need to lie about this in the first place, prejuidice being what it is. The moral outrage about an inappropriate relationship and so on, the age difference and blah blah blah....whatever they can use against him, they'll use. The only thing he did wrong was asume he could keep a secret like this whilst in public office, like there wasn't someone just waiting to snoop into his private life. Naive, thats all.

It's not my cup of tea, such an age difference, but hey! It's not like he was trying to get Beau pregnant or what?
    Just take the gay-bit out of the equasion and whats left is just what politicians have done since Themistocles, and probably before him.

whatzthefuzz?

5. Dazed

Dazed Guest

how much of a drunk am i when i saw sam adams i thought about the alcohol.
    >_<

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Personally even though I'm disappointed in him I think that if after the investigation they find that he committed no crime, he should be allowed to stay in his position. I think he's been doing a good job for Portland and will continue to do a good job for Portland.

7. littledinosaurs

Don't worry i thought the same exact thing :slight_smile:

8. LostAddict

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I also thought it was about alcohol. =/ But, on the actual issue, that's depessing, as it just gives fodder to those that assume all gay people are promiscuous and whatnot.

9. I thought it was about alcohol too hahaha. But yeah I heard about him on the news on the radio like last week. It's sad when politicians do those things, but not uncommon unfortunately.

10. TheRoof

eliot spitzer

11. Daniel6

I hope he didn't not commit a crime
    Adam is really hot:rolleyes:

12. littledinosaurs

was that prostitute underage though?

13. Mick

Mick Guest

Same here, exactly! Well except I never get drunk, I drink in moderation.

Anyhow. This is really too bad. Ah well, what can ya do. This shit happens in politics.

14. Ty

Ty

Is 18 not the legal age of consent over there? Cause it's 16 here.
    I don't see anything wrong with that. Why should you be disappointed just because he's having sex? Goodness, he's human. Did you expect him to live chastely ?

In addition, just reading that article, they make the age of consent seem like as soon as person X turns that age, they are automatically responsible to have sex. There's no real different between being a few weeks younger then 18 and a few weeks older. Besides, travel a few thousand miles away from the states and you have age of consents as low as 14 in portugal and 16 in the United Kingdom. Perhaps the U.S.A is still lagging behind.

#14 Ty, Feb 4, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  15. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Ty, I see nothing wrong with sex between two LEGAL consenting adults. My disappointment in Sam comes from the coverup about it all and his lying to the media and forcing this young person to lie as well. Sam is just shy of my age. He's old enough to know better! I still like Sam. I still think Sam's a fine mayor.

Sam knows the oppression that the gay community has felt from the right wing because he's been there right with us fighting the fight. They call the gay community promiscious, child molesterers, no morals, ects. When a gay person in such a high profile person goes and does something like this it hurts every gay kid out there who is struggling for their civil rights and freedoms because it gives the right wing ammunition. THAT is why I'm disappointed!

16. TheRoof

yea it was prostitute related thing but my point was how shocking political scandals can be. like everyone believed that he was a really good governor(of New York State), but the scandal just blew up and now he ended up as one of the most hypocritical politicians ever.

17. someguy82

While I agree there is nothing wrong with a relationship between two consenting adults. I can't help but feel Sam may have abused a position of authority here which I don't agree with, but I guess without knowing more I can't really confirm that.

That said, hiding it certainly makes him look guilty even if he did nothing wrong.

18. Emberstone

just like with the oregon state capital going up in flames a few months ago *shakes fists at bill sizemore, since its fun to shake fist at him and blame him for everything morally bankrupt or devestating in oregoon*, I really need to pay attention to the local news. I got so used to the 24/7 cable news cycle during the election that I got out of habit of watching the 10 o'clock news.