1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disability

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Loves books, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Loves books

I'm not sure if this the right place to post this. I have a form of muscular dystrophy. So far the most annoying thing is I tire quickly and I wonder how this will relate to relationships. I'm not in a wheelchair yet but it is inevitable I have severe stomach problems which means going out to eat not possible. I don't have the stamina or strength for anything active. I don't know what dates consist of these days but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able which is annoying because I really want to. is a disability a turn off.

2. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I met my partner on an online dating website and our favourite thing to do is to be at home playing computer games, watching movies, sitting outside in our garden etc.
    We never eat out but we love making eachother adventerous new dinners that neither of us has tried before.
    We also love to have home movie nights where we watch, usually, a horror film and eat popcorn/snacks.
    We also love to walk along the beach in early morning before most people have gotten up for the day.

3. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello There! I have fibromyalgia (muscle weakness/chronic pain and achiness and fatigue, chronic migraines, low energy, sensory issues to heat, cold, and certain foods) and I currently don't work and I have been dating a very loving man for 4 years now. There have been times in our relationship where my disabilities have caused him some irritation (such as, he loves movies but I am afraid to go to them because that much sensory overload with the lights and noise usually will give me a migraine, as well as sitting tense in a chair and focusing for several hours gives me brain fog) but overall he has learned how I am and accepted me. I give him the space and time he needs to be independent and enjoy his own times going out and such, but really we're both kind of homebodies and content with a simple life, we don't mind usually just laying around cuddling and napping together or he plays video games while I'll just be in his company. If you find someone who loves you as a person and you're willing to be an uplifting person, then your disabilities could never inhibit someone who feels good to be around you. We occassioanally go out to eat, but usually ill just brief the menus beforehand and we'll decide on a place where I know I could order something that probably wouldn't hurt my stomach, and of the few places that I know are always safe we'll always just use them as backup or just if bored... routine and safety doesn't have to be boring or repetitive so long as you're with someone who just likes doing things with you that matters. It's best to be honest with someone from the getgo about your needs and habits and if you're both willing to compromise for the other then I think things should be okay. Never tolerate someone who puts you down or continually tries to push your boundaries if they inhibit your health! It's easy to get in unhealthy, codependent / abusive relationships when you have disabilities so please don't feel bad about simply having needs just like everyone else :slight_smile: if you treat them as normal then others can learn it's okay too.

#3 EverDeer, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017