1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difficulties with my mom (Transgender Issues)

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by MusicIsLife, Mar 20, 2013.

1. MusicIsLife

Hey guys,

So about two years ago or so I came out to my mom as FTM trans. She basically fell apart and she was so distraught by it I clammed up and didn't speak about it for a while. Then a year ago things started to finally get moving, as I decided that I wanted to transition, signed up for a waiting list for hormones at a local clinic and started seeing someone regularly about it and began hanging out with other trans guys around my age. Again I brought up the whole Trans issue and brought her to meet my counselor. It was like talking to a brick wall of denial. She'd simply repeat the same questions over and over in a different form, ie are you sure which is a common one, and she is dead convinced that I'm not actually trans because i could never stick to a decision in college, so how could I be so sure about this?

So its been about a year since then, and I've been having a tough time socially. I'm depressed, I have bad anxiety, the smallest thing sets me off. Basically, I am just so ready to start hormones, but I need to wait just a little longer, and I am super fed up of waiting. Because of this depression I have been hiding out a lot in my bedroom, watching my tv shows and being on the internet near-constantly or writing. Its my way of coping. My mom didnt get this and just constantly gave me a hard time about it. So the other day I tried to bring it up again, but this time in the form of trying to explain why I was depressed to her. I thought she would understand this, because shes been depressed herself. Booooy was I wrong.

It turned into her crying and telling me that no one will ever see me as male and because I'm depressed that must mean i'm having second thoughts and I shouldnt transition. I left for work shaking, and it was NOT fun. The next day she told me she wanted to pay for me to see a professional, and agreed to let me pick the person i go see. Though I know she wants me to see someone to "be sure about this" I intend to use this opportunity to get my referral to an endocrinologist to hopefully start T earlier.

I move out this summer, in about 3 and a half months. I was just wondering what you guys think I should be doing about my mom until then. Thanks, I know it's long.