1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you grow up in a religious household?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Andrew99, Nov 26, 2016.

1. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, my parents are Christian. Not overly so, but still pretty religious. I never changed my views, because I always had trouble believing it, even as a kid. I still haven't told them I don't believe.

2. SkyDiver

I did, my whole family was very conservative and evangelical-minded.

My mom and I now are much more liberal Christians, while my brother is still more conservative and my dad is somewhere in the middle.

Almost all of my aunts and uncles are either conservative Christians or Catholics, and all of them seem to have a "don't ask, don't tell" mentality in regards to my sexuality. They love me and support me, and would be fine if I were to bring a guy to family dinners, but I know they have issues with it.

3. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Pretty much this, only change brother to sister. My views have changed. Also my spouse and I are both pretty open-minded Christians.

#63 myheartincheck, Dec 4, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  4. kronixx

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    YES. My mother and grandmother are both hardcore conservative christian.

5. TidMaskin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My parents believe in God but they aren't fanatics and I'm very thankful for that. Nobody in my family violated me with religion

6. antimarkovnikov

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My mom's side of the family was Methodist and my dad's was Catholic, and when they married they sort of "compromised" and became Episcopalians, and that was the belief system my siblings and I grew up under.

Fast-forward to about ten years ago, and suddenly there was that big schism in ECUSA due to the NH diocese ordaining an openly-gay bishop. My parents' church fell on the "conservative side" (the place now identifies as "Anglican") and ever since it has taken a really hard-line stance against LGBT equality issues, i.e. operating on the basis that "being accepting of LGBT people" is equivalent to "making a mockery of the Scripture".

It gets even more fun when your mom is not just a member but the head office manager (very high-profile position there), and occasionally comes home with stories about how a Christian LGBT couple would be new to the area and visited the place seeking to join, and she'd be "proud" of how she "handled the situation", by telling them that they were welcome to join and worship at service but would be denied communion and otherwise treated as second-class members (and they definitely definitely definitely would not be allowed anywhere near the Sunday School program).

Sigh...

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes and no. On the one hand, we went to church throughout the Christmas period for reasons of preserving cultural and linguistic heritage, but my parents never really had faith at the point I was born or at any point after.

There are certainly strong cultural-religious elements that came out during my childhood (my father's strict Lutheran austerity and sense of work ethic and my mother's Catholic sense of social duty and the sanctity of life that, despite their atheism, certainly came out in unequivocally religiously inspired language). So I guess that's why I consider myself to have had a somewhat religious upbringing.

8. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At home my parents weren't/aren't religious and never forced religion upon myself or my brother, but we did go to church until I was 4. My views have changed slightly, but I never considered myself to be religious. The most religious I ever considered myself would be agnostic, I now consider myself an Atheist.

#68 Hawk, Dec 6, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  9. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yes, but not super-religious. I went to a Lutheran school from Pre-K through 8th grade. My family were also regulars at that church.

I still consider myself a Christian, though there have been times of doubt. I am not a regular church goer anymore, though.

10. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yes, grew up Lutheran.

11. Bikermm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was lucky, my mum was/is a Christian and did try when I was a child by sending me to Sunday school but after a I escaped from it a few times she gave up.

I will listen to a service at the memorial on Remembrance Day but thats all and thats about remembering the fallen not a church thing to me.

12. meistro

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I lived with my dad till I was about 13 and he was and still is a devout Christian (southern Baptist). he made me and my siblings go to church every Sunday morning and Wednesday night. And even made us sit in the living room a couple times a week while he read out of the bible and questioned us about the story. Stopped goin to church when I moved in with my mom who's a catholic but she never pushed anything on me, and a couple years later adopted the ancient astronaut theory as my "religion" I'm incapable of faith and have been since I was a kid.