1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did i come out...or not really?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by GreenRoses, Feb 9, 2019.

1. GreenRoses

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi you guys! I have a question but it's more or less.

Ok. I go to a women's college (co-ed evening, online) and a good portion of my friends are LGBT and are open about it amongst our group. Friday at lunch, I was on Instagram looking through videos. A friend next to me caught a glimpse of my screen and asked, "Is that that Gay ShitTM?" And I was like No. Even though I have an IG collection literally titled 'THAT GAY SHIT.' The exact thing I was looking wasn't actually gay, but I freaked out anyway.

A 2nd friend was like "Are you straight?" because we know everyone's sexuality but I never really talked about mine. My friends starting joining in asking. The 2nd friend was more forward bc she's gay and she doesn't care. Thing is I didn't say I was straight and that fact that I didn't answer said that I was gay more.

A 3rd friend was like, Aren't you straight or asexual? because I go to our LGBT organization meetings. But we also have a straight friend who regularly goes to these meetings too. Then they asked if I was comfortable with answering and I said no. And that same straight friend came into the dining hall from her class and I was like "help me"

Did I come out or not really? What are y'all thoughts?

#1 GreenRoses, Feb 9, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  2. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My thoughts, no you didn’t. Though your friend group knows something is up! I mean if you were straight you’d have probably answered right away (or at least that’s what I’d expect). So at the very least they probably assume your curious or questioning. You don’t have to discuss your sexuality until you’re ready. Don’t be surprised if some go on a fishing expedition though. The one friend who came up and you asked to help you... maybe reach out to them and discuss the conversation. You don’t have to disclose everything, but if it puts your mind at ease perhaps having a friend know you're just not really comfortable discussing that yet they can be a buffer.

Dionysios likes this.
  3. GreenRoses

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've been wanting to initiate a conversation with my friends about it, but I doubt I'm 100%. But I think they already know something's up, to state the obvious. Thanks for responding!

Dionysios and I'mStillStanding like this.
  4. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, you don’t need a label. I mean if your not sure just tell them that. It’s nice to have people to kinda talk to about it for sure. It’s kinda freeing honestly :slight_smile: good luck in the conversation (should you choose to do it)

And of course :slight_smile: that’s what we are here for... plus free is my favorite color sonthe rose caught my eye hahaha

5. grayman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, you didn't come out. And that's okay. If someone asked me if I was bisexual, but I simply chose not to answer, that doesn't mean I lied about being bisexual. As humans are all sovereign over our own bodies and minds and we can choose to tell people or not tell people whatever the fuck we want.

If, at some point, you decide to come out to this group of friends, then cool. If not, that's cool too. I'm not out of the closet and personally, right now, I don't want to come out. I am a bisexual man and I can talk about that here, but I just don't really feel like anyone needs to know. And that's my choice, just like it was your choice to not come out during this interaction. The most important thing, I think, is being comfortable with yourself.

GreenRoses likes this.
  6. GreenRoses

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah I agree; talking about it will probably help. Honestly talking about would help. And I don't really have a label I feel solid in except maybe bisexual. So yeah :smile:

grayman likes this.