1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did anyone else knew they were ‘different’ at a young age and didn’t realize it until later?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Omegduh, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Omegduh

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I’m coming to terms with my sexuality now and what all of my feelings for women mean, but when I was younger I knew I was “different” in a sense and didn’t even know what it was. Did anyone else have this feeling at a young age when they realized something different about themselves whether it be sexuality, gender or something else?

2. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I knew for certain as a small child but was not able to explain it fully to people until I was older. I am still sorting out some of it almost six decades later.

3. Hemant

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes I always had a bizzare difficulty while getting alongwith others. Have always found myself different than others and had difficulty coping with them. My way of getting along with them had been different as others were just straightforward. Very shameful and embarassing it had been for me that my approach to them was different to how they approached each other. Very difficult it is for me to write as I find myself unabe to reach deep in my mind there. This difficulty I started feeling ever since I was in class 4. I also had a trauma on skull a year back then. Don't know whether it is related with that trauma or realted with gender identity and sexual orientation. Didn't realise it until my marriage collapsed
    and Doctors put me on mental medication for anxiety. And whole other bunch of problems fell on me. Wish to find answer to it as my life depends on it. And yes as @QuietPeace mentioned I too sorting them out.

4. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes - I always felt different ever since I was a young kid. When I realised that I was gay at 15, it was like I'd finally found the missing piece to complete the jigsaw puzzle. It explained a lot of things to me.

5. Tartanskrt

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am different. I have always known this, ever since I can remember. It's not just because I like women for me though. I'm very tall so can't really hide that. I'm also dyspraxic. I talk too much, I step forward when others step back. But what makes me different makes me special. I love different.

6. BlueMonday

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
  7. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yea I have, I think I realized it when I was around 10?12? between that time. I noticed how I was always paying more attention to the guys moreso than the girls and how I couldnt relate to the guys around me that were in awe of the women. I never knew the term for it until I got into middle school. I wasnt able to come to terms with it until after I got out of high school. probably because I didnt have that peer pressure from anyone anymore or i didnt have to worry about being bullied again.

8. Hypernova

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always thought I was aro even before I knew what it meant, and eventually started identifying as aroace a while back but 1. I'm only 14 so I can't be 100% if I'm ace or not and 2. I've been totally freaking out and questioning whether I'm aromantic or not ALL DAY soooo maybe I'm not...

I do think that I thought of this as being 'different.'

9. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yup.
    From a very early age

10. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, to all three. Even if I didn't, others made it obvious

11. Loves books

I was called weird as a kid and I’m not too sure why. My reading skills were at an 8 year old level when I was 5 and I always had m6 head stuck in a book. It took years before I realized not everyone thought reading was fun. I was the girl lining up at midnight for the new Harry Potter. I was also very young when I started having crushes on girls. Older girls and I kept crushing on older girls. At one point when I was eight I tried to describe my feelings to another girl to see if they were normal. At the time Gay and Lesbian weren’t words we knew. I even didn’t realize they were crushes until I was a teenager. I never stopped reading every chance I had got, and my whole life I kept insulting people without realising it.

12. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yes, absolutely. From an early age, my mother always said I was "different". But she said it with pride, a pride that I absorbed and assimilated. This being the 1970s there weren't any labels that could be pinned on me. Had I been born a generation later to a more panicky parent I might have been (wrongly) put in the box marked as 'autistic' or 'Aspergers' or God knows what else.

The source of that difference has always been hard to locate and realising that I'm trans, I think, only partly explains it. I like to think that I'm somehow part of that dying tradition, that of the English eccentric.

Beth

13. ChristelSa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    yep, and sorely misdiagnosed by just abt everyone, even up to a point I have ended up in a psychiatric ward as a teenager.
    My mum knew something was off and had suggested that I was somehow struggling with my sexuality.
    Off course the professionals knew better, NOT!!! And this was in the eighties.
    So it took another 3 decades for me to start over my life.

I'm so glad that the WWW helps so many seeking souls as the awareness within the professional community is still not up to par.
    It's getting better but given the growing prevalence of LGBT+ people you would think there is no denial possible anymore but alas...

14. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    As a child I used to pretend I was a girl while also found myself thinking boys were cute, but I didn't know what it meant at the time. Of course as I grew up it was a time when being gay was not socially acceptable and the only trans people were on Jerry Springer, so I figured I can't be either one.

15. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Omegduh.....Yes, somewhere around 8 years old I started to feel that I was different, although I didn't have any idea of what that meant. I lived in a rural area in the Western US and had no "models" to look up to. I didn't really begin being with other boys until I started college in 1968.
    .....Dvaid :gay_pride_flag:

16. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Looking back I was fairly blissfully ignorant of not fitting in with the others, occasionally feeling down about it.

I did several "gay things" and was also fairly premature, taking a longggg time to catch up with my school mates socially and intellectually.

17. LetsGoNow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I knew I was different and hated by people for different reasons. Some hate me because I'm gay. Others hate me because I'm Asian. Some hate me because I'm Muslim. Then you have people who hate me for all three. ; P

18. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think I looked different. I was often a nonconformist and kept myself mentally occupied with my own interests and hobbies. I had friends and if people didn't like me, I wasn't changing so they would like me. It stung a little bit at times but I didn't change course.

19. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I've always been different, to the point of wondering if I'm was adopted, or a robot (like Astro Boy), or an alien. I definitely am physically different, and hard of hearing, and trans, nonbinary, and pan.

I think I may be neurodivergent, too, but I've got an appointment next month to get myself evaluated.

At any rate, I meow far more than most people.

20. RD Spencer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Very much so.