1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Depression and SH

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Joelle b, May 10, 2020.

1. Joelle b

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ok, so I have had depression for 4 straight years , from 9 years old till 13, and I have had near death experiences. I had been slowly getting better, and was living properly like a human till I found out I was bi. I freaked out and went into survival mode. I kept living normally, but it was all a mask, because I didn’t know what my parents thought of LGBTQ+ peeps. So I resorted to self harm. I came out to my parents because a friend who knew- she is like a sister, and only she knew- told my parents, because she was scared for me. This was all last year, and they have been ok (my 5 siblings don’t know). Now I am much much better. But only 14 people know I am bi, and I am sick of it, and I want to be brave and do it, and my therapist agrees. But here’s the thing, I’m worried that if tons of people react badly, it will drive me in the wrong direction. Is there anyone out there who can advise me? Should I be brave or cautionary? I really want to know.

2. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    When it comes to telling your siblings, you should talk to your parents about it and ask them how they think your siblings would react. For telling friends, if you have any mutual friends who know ask them if they know how your other friends will react. Best wishes.

Phoenyx07 and rktonks like this.
  3. ConfusedBiGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe rather than having a mass coming out to everyone and putting that pressure on yourself you could gradually do it when the timing feels right. For example, you could have individual conversations with people and gauge what their stance is on LGBTQ+ issues/the community and that way you'll know whether it is safe to come out to them. If it comforts you at all, I am 20 and still coming out to people all the time and also still have people in my life who don't know, I try not to let it consume me anymore and deal with each situation in its own unique way instead of generalising everyone/thing. I have been in your position so I understand it, it must be really stressful for you but it will all get better in time. Wherever you go and whatever happens there will always be people that love and support you, there is always someone out there who will understand. Good luck, you'll be okay.

rktonks likes this.
  4. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Welcome to EC !:cat2:

Do you feel pressured in to broadcasting your sexuality to everyone ?
    I guess you must be or you would not be posting?
    Given your age, there is plenty of time for all this so don't be stressed too much about who you are out to and who you are not out to. Its your business.
    If you are a FIVE STAR person :star::star::star::star::star:(which you clearly are) most people will be OK with you - whatever your status.
    But maybe you can take it in your stride. And just do it when it feels right rather than being stressed out by it.
    In the meantime, be gentle on yourself !!!

rktonks likes this.
  5. Joelle b

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks @bingostring !
    It’s not that I feel pressured to come out, I just hate being a fake,
    Haha, five star person, I guess that is accurate though (lol).
    Thank you for your advice though❤️, because this is really stressful and any thing might work. When ever I call hotlines for help it never helps so I want real people who have also gone through announcing they are gay to help.

6. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, telephone hotlines can be frustrating because you never have time to express everything properly.
    But you have a therapist which is great. Use your therapy sessions to help decide what is needed short term and what can wait till later!!

rktonks likes this.