1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Depersonalization

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by staticinmyattic, Jan 8, 2022.

1. staticinmyattic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Update. I was about to give up on hearing back from the therapist, but she’d been sick and replied today. Consultation later this afternoon if all goes well

Rayland likes this.
  2. staticinmyattic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My consultation with a therapist just ended, and I think it went very well. She seems pretty laid back and easy to talk to, with a sense of humor. It hadn't occurred to me how important a sense of humor is! I gave her the basics of my "public" story (I am a depressed dude) without getting into what's really going on (which is way more complicated). So we're going to have a little chat next Friday. I'm nervous! It feels like I need to get this right, which I know is silly. It's therapy, not an audition. But still, I really want to make a difference in my life. I'm feeling a lot better than I did when I wrote the above posts, and I want to keep it going. My previous attempts at therapy have gone like this: I hit a crisis, I tell a therapist my life story, my mood improves, I stop going. I've only discussed being transgender with one, and it ended because my life was in too much turmoil to continue with sessions. I'd like to do something more productive than that this time. Any advice on how to get the conversation about gender identity started with a new therapist?

3. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Do you know if she has a history of helping LGTBQ+ clients? That might be worth checking out first.

Other than that...just be honest. Tell them your story. Think also about the question that they will inevitably ask: 'what do you want to get out of this?'

4. staticinmyattic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    As for helping lgbtq clients, yes. Particularly the “T” in there. I didn’t mention that part in the consult. I need to work up to it. As for “what do I want to get out of this”, or hanks for giving me something to think about. It’s a doozy and I don’t know how to answer that