1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dental Dam Questions

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by jam93, Apr 30, 2018.

1. jam93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, last weekend my boyfriend (who is ftm trans, no bottom surgery) and I got drunk and one thing lead to another and I ended up giving him oral. I really enjoyed it, and from the sounds he made he did too. Problem is, that due to the rather spontanious nature of it we didn't use any protection. I'm not very worried about STIs from that one time, but I figure that safer is always better, so I thought I should learn a bit about dental dams so I can be ready the next time the mood hits us. I've done some googling and feel like I've got a grip on how they work (you'd have to be an idiot not to, it's pretty simple) but I've still got a few minor questions for someone with a bit of experince.
    1) Is there any benifit to the store bought ones over just cutting open a condom? I have condoms already, so my go to plan would be to just modify those, but if the store bought ones are any better I'd be willing to put out the cash.
    2) How well do they stay in place? I have a hard time believing that a simple sheet of latex would just stay put when I start in with my tongue. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought it was worth asking.
    3) If you cut up condoms can you do it in advance? Or would sitting out make them go bad? Just wondering because I feel like pausing sexy time for arts and crafts would be a bit of a mood killer.
    4) now bad to they taiste? I'm assuming pretty bad, and I guess I could just pop acondom in my mouth to test it, but I thought I'd ask anyway. I know they make flavored ones, are they any good?
    5) Do they make it harder to breathe? That was my biggest issue the first time, and I can't emagine a sheet of latex over my mouth and right by my nose would make it any easier.
    Thanks in advance to anyone who bothers to answer these. If you've got any other advice you could give me thanks for that too. Like I said, I really injoyed it, and it's something I'd very much like to do again, just in safer (and hopefully more sober) way.

#1 jam93, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  2. smurf

Only ease of use. If you buy them then all the other questions you have you don't have to deal with. That being said, getting dental dams can be hard and expensive. I would make a call to your local planned parenthood and ask if they have any free dental dams available. They will give you tons for free. Some LGBT centers carry them, but sadly not as often as planned parenthood.

Its something you have to play with for sure. For the most part it will stick to the skin fairly well, but it can be tricky

Haven't done research on that, but I wouldn't do it. Only way would maybe be vacuum sealing them right after? You have to worry about them getting dirty and the like.

I would just practice and get good at making them fast! But also be okay with killing the vibe and laughing it off. It doesn't have to be sexy every single time for it to be fun

Definitely only use the flavor ones. Some of them are okay, but they are defintely way better than non-flavor ones. Keep in mind that if you use a flavor condom to put the side that has lube pointing out 1) because then you get the flavor 2) flavor condoms can give yeast infections if they come in contact with vaginas.

Gotta practice! Think about how much breathing you do giving a blowjob. It seems impossible to do it for a long time until you practice haha

Props to you guys for thinking about safety.

STI's from oral sex from vaginas is a low risk. Most people won't use protection for oral sex because they are comfortable with the low risk, but that is a decision that only you and your partner can make together. Keep at it!

Richard321 likes this.
  3. jam93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the fast, and detailed, response. This guy is my first partner, so I'm kind of learning on the job here, and don't want to screw up if I can avoid it. I'm not his firts though, and after a rather awkward morning after discussion I thought it might look good If I did some research and knew my stuff before it came up again. I'll definately have to hit up a plan parenthood and see what I can get. Thanks.

4. smurf

Love the thinking, but also keep having those awkward conversations. Those are going to be super helpful and it will be the quickest way to the best sex that you can have.

Keep talking about safer sex with your partner, figure out their own comfort levels with dental damns, and don't be afraid to ask the "dumb" questions. There is literally only one way to learn how to have amazing sex and that is by communication through it all :slight_smile:

5. Richard321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Dental dams must surely be available online. Amazon might even sell them... Just checked, it does. Other suppliers a plenty, too.

closeted13 likes this.
  6. Mazely

Mazely Guest

The store bought ones are perfectly rectangular while the cut ones can be a little wonky. They don't stay in place very well at all. They make things to help them stay in place, or you could just use your hands. If you leave them out after cutting them they won't be as sterile and it could lead to a uti or a similar infection. I wouldn't suggest it. The flavored ones taste kinda tangy but it wears off fast. The biggest issue i find with it is that it gives me almost like a tongue burn from the repetitive licking. It starts to go almost numb. I don't find it any harder to breathe with or without a dam.