1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Demiromantic?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Noodle72, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Noodle72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess I've always kind of noticed that I only end up crushing on people I've already gotten to know and become pretty close to, but I never really thought I might be demiromantic.

I know I can feel attraction to people who I'm not friends with. There's a guy in my science class who I don't really know, but I find him really cute. He likes Undertale, but I don't know if we have any other common interests. It'd be nice to get to know him more, and maybe then I'd start viewing him romantically, but as of now, I just can't picture a romantic relationship with him. I don't know enough about who he is as a person, or how he'd react in certain situations.

But then, there was a cosplayer who I had a crush on for a short while. Most of it was based on attraction and common interests, but I never actually talked to him. Then again, that crush didn't last long after he said something kinda shitty on his instagram, and I went from having a crush on him to just a fan of his cosplays.

Comparing those to my long-lasting crush on a girl last year (I think I even considered myself in love with her) once I became pretty good friends with her, I'm thinking I might be demiromantic. I'm not sure though, is feeling like this normal for people who aren't demiromantic, or do you think that label fits me pretty well based on what I've said? Any thoughts?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What you are describing is well within the spectrum of ordinary Herero or homosexual attraction. Lots of people -- probably half of the population -- often don't feel attraction until they get to know someone. No special label needed. :slight_smile:

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Chip said it best. Non romantic feelings are normal. Despite what media may portray not every single person walks around thinking "do I want to have sex with that person, they are so hooottt"?

Platonic relations and interactions are a thing.

4. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't understand demiromantism. Pretty much everyone develops stronger feelings for people they know better. Some people are attracted to strangers, but that's pretty much lust. And not everyone is attracted to strangers....

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hence why nobody credible uses the term. :slight_smile:

6. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think I've ever had a real crush on someone I didn't know and feel comfortable with first. That's completely normal. Romantic feelings tend to be based on personality and how you feel when you're around them, so it would make sense that you have to get close with them first.