1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Definitions

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by NoName87, Aug 1, 2019.

1. NoName87

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    This may trigger some as it involves confronting standard definitions of identity.

As I understand the term transgender. Trans, as in transcendence and gender, as in our psychosocial relation to the social constructions and standards of what is expected to be male, female or neither.

Given my understanding of the term transgender, the term doesn’t make sense to me. If gender identity is for lack of better terms “not a choice” then what has been transcended other than the sexual characteristics given by nature? It appears to me the very definition is saying sex and gender are one and the same!

Food for thought.

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Does Trans for sure stand for transcendence?

For example the prefix trans:
    TRANSatlantic (aka on the other side of the atlantic)
    TRANSform

Or trans like in Chemistry, where two specific atoms/groups of atoms are on opposite sides (vs cis, where they are on the same side). In simple binary thinking, like how gender and sex would be opposite for trans people?

Idk, perhaps a stretch. Someone with a better knowledge of etymology could probably explain it more correctly/better.

#2 HM03, Aug 1, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  3. niewo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "If gender identity is for lack of better terms “not a choice” then what has been transcended other than the sexual characteristics given by nature? It appears to me the very definition is saying sex and gender are one and the same!"

I never thought of that ö

The way people identify with themselves doesn't really change, but rather the physical appearance is what I'm getting. Hm.

4. niewo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

'Transgender' typically defines someone who identifies as the opposite gender that corresponds with the sex that they are given at birth. The trans used here means "to go to the other side of", as the persons appearance and physical attributes change to the opposite of what they were upon becoming transgender. The 'trans' as in 'transition' 'to change'.

I'm sorry if my explanation sucks, It's 1 AM here. lol