1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Defending family (maybe I shouldn't?)

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Phoenyx07, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Phoenyx07

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So, I come from a religious family that doesn't accept lgbt. My friends know I'm gay. But for some reason, I try to make my family seem less bad then they are when talking about lgbt things. I love them, and I don't want to trash talk them even though they are kinda bad sometimes. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? I don't know if what I'm doing is right.

2. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately defending them only enables them to keep doing something that is harmful. Love them, but don't enable abuse.

3. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes. When I vented out about my life after coming out to my family (that's a whole other explanation, but in short it wasn't a good experience) to friends, I didn't really paint my parents and my older sister as villains. Sure, they didn't understand and their opinions of the LGBTQ+ community aren't rosy, but they're still family. They haven't mistreated or ill-treated me. And apart from emotional baggage I didn't really have any complaints. So yeah, I defended them to the core when the friends suggested I don't stick up for my parents. Since they love me, I can never resent them despite their orthodox opinions and beliefs. It took me years and years to come to terms and accept my own sexuality, so can I expect them to let go of their decades-old beliefs and turn a new leaf overnight, or within a couple of years? Nope. That's how I see it anyway. Call me biased, but that's how I am. So I totally understand where you're coming from @Phoenyx07

justinf likes this.