1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with society's attitude

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by OscarX, Apr 18, 2018.

1. OscarX

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Often it hear people talking shit weather it's at work, school, a public place or within any group of people. I usually hear people saying things like:
    "Gays are disgusting, it's a mental illness",
    "I know a friend's friend who's gay, sometimes we like each other's Facebook posts but other than that I try to stay away from that faggot who's getting fucked in the ass, it's none of my business".
    "If gay people want to kiss, they shouldn't do it in public, that's my only problem with them".
    "Did know that person is gay? People say he's a faggot".

This attitude repeats itself everywhere, it hurts me but I understand that I cannot do much in order change people, I have to learn to deal with them, learn to disagree with their ignorance and focus on the good side in people. I cannot put myself in a safe bubble and not get out of the house, I must engage in society and face my struggles, ain't no other way, learning to cope with hate is the best revenge.

If I were to refuse to work with a colleague because they're homophobic, it would be my loss, I could lose my job.
    If I were to refuse to work with a classmate on a project because they're homophobic, it would be my loss, I could I fail college.
    I can give the same example regarding any field of life.

I would like to hear from other people what's their way to deal with the cruel society? I'd appreciate if people can share their life experiences.

2. Lisboa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not gay but i'm bi and it is something that i've been thinking for a long time. Anyway, yesterday i was going to come out to my group of friends so i brought up the topic and then a boy says "nowadays it's like everyone is bi, i think they are just seaking attention" so i replied " but what if they are really bi?" And he then said "it's just a phase for confused people or it's just that they are trying to look cool"
    I got so pissed off i stormed out the room leaving him very confused since he thinks i'm straight.
    But i hurt me to hear him say that because i've been thinking so much about this and i thought he was wrong but at the end of the day is his opinion. (Still it makes me mad haha)

BiBarefeet and OscarX like this.
  3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only thing we can do is to stand tall and stand proud in the face of these ignorant comments and state very calmly and clearly "Actually, I am gay". In most cases, when we do that, the other person backs down and splutters around for a lame response because they don't want to have to justify their ignorance to someone who is brave enough and strong enough to call out their bullshit, especially in front of a load of other people.

You may think this a small gesture, but it really isn't. This is the essence of pride.

4. MzMrAlexa

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Personally I just take it in stride. Live and let live, even if the other party won't.

One of the biggest issues that I see in our society today is that everyone wants to be offended and intolerant of everyone else. I live in the rural Bible Belt and see it a lot (the homophobic stuff). Like everything else I can't and don't expect anyone to change just because of my views or feelings. But what I can do is to tell them that I don't care about what someone does in their personal life. And show an accepting attitude. With time and compassion you can soften views and that is a start.. Changing society's acceptance takes time and really needs to be done one person at a time slowly.. Because as long as a group can be looked at as a thing it's easy to dehumanize people. But if you can get to a somewhat neutral place.. And allow people to know you as a good person and if the time is right inform them that you are a part of what they fear.. You take away the dehumanizing part and only then can you really make the kind of change that need to happen actually materialize. Just what I've seen in my own experience.

OscarX likes this.
  5. BiBarefeet

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've always thought that 2 factors always come into play, and they are deeply interwoven.
    1) Most religions are founded on life and love, which is typically portrayed as man+woman.
    2) Women can have babies, and men carry the sperm for that. And there are corresponding organs to make them create life.
    The above two things for me set the stage for "normal" and therefore create the agenda for society thinking that anything other than this. Unfortunately these "rules" seem to forget that creating life is a biological necessity and is far removed from love and companionship, and also that the real message of religions is to love thy neighbour - love each other, accept each other, and be harmonious. Trying to achieve this by dictating a set agenda of "straightness" on the human population does not work. It's a triumph of dogmatic belief over logic and reason.

OscarX and MzMrAlexa like this.
  6. BiBarefeet

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Apologies, phone went mental. See missing bit.

I've always thought that 2 factors always come into play, and they are deeply interwoven.
    1) Most religions are founded on life and love, which is typically portrayed as man+woman.
    2) Women can have babies, and men carry the sperm for that. And there are corresponding organs to make them create life.
    The above two things for me set the stage for "normal" and therefore create the agenda for society thinking that anything other than this is not normal or acceptable.
    Unfortunately these "rules" seem to forget that creating life is a biological necessity and is far removed from love and companionship, and also that the real message of religions is to love thy neighbour - love each other, accept each other, and be harmonious. Trying to achieve this by dictating a set agenda of "straightness" on the human population does not work. It's a triumph of dogmatic belief over logic and reason.[/QUOTE
    apologies,

OscarX likes this.
  7. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hate that homophobia exists. I hate that hate of any kind exists. The world would be some much better if we all learned to love each other and treat each other with kindness and respect. I've heard and read all kinds of hurtful, ugly comments about gay people and the only thing I really think you can do is try to educate these people. Make them see that gay, straight, bi we're all the same. You may not change everyone's mind right away but you will be planting seeds of doubt that there beliefs are correct.

OscarX likes this.
  8. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree with this. It's amazing how when you put a face, often a well known and loved one to them, to being gay, people will realize they are wrong.

OscarX and MzMrAlexa like this.
  9. anonmember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you're going to be out, you're just going to have to not care because it's pretty much inevitable that you will get made fun of at some point. I'm sure I will get made fun of when I come out publicly as bi. But I don't care as long as I'm not getting rejected by close friends, which is pretty much my biggest fear in coming out. I'm sure every openly LGBT person has been made fun of at some point in their life. If not to their face, then behind their back.

#9 anonmember, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
    OscarX likes this.
  10. hyphybum

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’ve been through it my whole life. I ended up hating all straight people. They’re not going to change and neither am I.

OscarX likes this.
  11. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am sorry you feel this way. Because I know a lot of really great straight people. In fact I used to think I was straight so I guess you wouldn't have liked me either.

OscarX likes this.
  12. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

I get to annoyed with the Its just a phase or your confused and will grow out of it my bisexuality is not a phase its who I am

OscarX likes this.