1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with male privilege

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by i am just me, Oct 10, 2020.

1. i am just me

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi,
    this is a question to all people on T and others who changed their appearance and are now read mostly as male instead of female. How did your interactions with others change when you started to be perceived mostly as male? Which societal changes did you notice that you didn't expect? How do you deal with the male privilege that you have all of a sudden?

A bit of context: I'm starting T soon and though I am nonbinary, I know I will probably be perceived as male a lot more often (which I want to). However, I'm transitioning mainly to feel more comfortable in my body and I'm insecure about all the social changes that come with being perceived mainly as a man instead of a masculine woman. Being a feminist, I wonder if behaviours I've become used to in order to make my voice be heard as a person read as a women will contribute to silencing women and people perceiced as such as soon as they add up with being perceived as a man. I'm also worried if behaviours I'm used to will suddenly seem threatening as I really want to avoid that.

2. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don’t worry, you’ll just see when you start to overkill and will feel it out. Just don’t worry about that in advance.

I’m not sure if much changed in interactions tbh. Besides the really stereotypical stuff that you could just deduce by common sense, like people assuming your interests, some behaviours or sexual orientation.

3. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can’t say much about the gaining of “privilege” but I can say that once I sloughed off the maleness that I’d been burdened with from birth, I found that people didn’t much take me seriously anymore. I also have to more defend certain mindsets that I have, all because “oh, she’s a woman.”

Albine likes this.