1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating while closeted or unsure

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Katelyn93, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Katelyn93

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hi there,

So I've gone back and forth over the last seven years from being sure I was a cross dresser, to knowing I am a trans woman, to thinking I was just confused and that I'm a cis man and back to questioning. A big factor for my back and forth wasn't just struggling to understand myself but the six year relationship I was in with a person that initially tried to understand or accept and then kicked back really hard but instead of leaving me, tried to change or "help" me be more the man she needed.

Now I'm having a hard time allowing myself to just be me right now, rather than label it I just want take it bit by bit and see where I'm comfortable but now I don't feel comfortable with myself at all in any way so it's kinda tough and I think that's because of how I've gotten used to seeing the deviance in myself as wrong but that's not important right now.

I find myself feeling lonely after the relationship fell apart and think I'd want to try and find another partner but I don't know if that makes sense when you're either unsure or in the closet still.

What are your thoughts on this? Isn't it too hard and tricky until you know what's what? And even then where does one meet someone that's willing to date someone who's unsure or maybe gender fluid? I don't really go out much which isn't helpful.

2. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi @Katelyn93,

How long ago did your last relationship end?

I’m sorry that you’re feeling this way. I think that for anyone feeling the way that you’ve described here, regardless of the reason, then taking some time just for yourself could be a good, or even necessary, thing. Perhaps you need some time to recover from your last relationship? Could you focus on your other relationships, such as friendships, whilst you take some time to focus on yourself?

If you were to enter a new relationship, do you think that you would be concerned about how they saw you? If so, that probably wouldn’t help you to work through what you are currently feeling.

3. Katelyn93

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My last relationship, first and only one fell apart on several occasions, but the last breakup was three weeks before Christmas give or take. Its still fairly new. I'm struggling a bit with being alone and I don't like imposing on people to support me all the time, I feel annoying but I need someone in my life, or I feel like I Do. I am actually not sure.

I am actually rather worried about finding someone and then making them feel deceived or misled because I don't even know where I am at and sometimes I revert back to being male mode me and sometimes I am transgirl me and it's confusing to even me.

I suppose its better to take some time. Probably for the best.

4. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I see two things that at least for me say that you should put dating or looking for a relationship off for a while.

1 ) You are a bit over one month out of a six year relationship. If you were to try to be with someone now it would probably be a rebound thing and rebound relationships are rarely long lasting (though not never). The recommendations that I have seen are that after getting out of a serious relationship you should spend at least 6 months recovering plus another month for each year of the relationship. Even if you do not wait that long I feel that one month is way too short to get yourself back on your feet.

2 ) If you are not certain whether you are a man or a woman how is whoever you date going to be sure how to relate to you. In my life I have had a lot of trouble with people trying to manipulate me into being what they want. Before you allow someone in your life I think that you should stabilize your own identity first. If you do not want to wait until you are fairly sure who you are at least be sure to inform anyone who you date of your uncertainty and that things might change.

5. sweetfemme90

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Big thing I want to say is do not do anything permanent if you are not sure where you fit (i.e. surgery).

Next point- Relationships with trans people can be very difficult and the person who is not trans in the relationship goes through a series of emotions and conflicts. One reason this can happen (although I am certainly not speaking for everyone), is that your identity can conflict and clash with their own. Although you did not specify your ex-partner's sexual orientation I am assuming she is heterosexual, could be wrong though. For me I was a lesbian who dated trans men at different times in my life, all of them coming out after the relationship was already established. So at first things were great but as my partner would begin to change physically or bring out traditionally masculine qualities it changed the relationship. At times I missed the person my partner used to be. We were young and we didn't talk much about things because I wanted to keep it positive and happy. I thought talking about things would threaten the relationship and I still loved this person and wanted to be dedicated to them. I know I said I had a few trans partners but there was one in particular that stood out to me because it was my first major relationship.

Now that my back story is out of the way, I will answer your question on what my thoughts are on this. I would most likely hold off on finding a romantic partner at the moment. Once you have a better understanding of yourself that can help guide you in finding the right partner. I am not sure if your ex partner dated other trans folks in the past or was already open to it prior to the relationship. You might be better off in the future finding someone who has experience dating trans people or even people who are trans. As far as meeting potential partners who are trans or open to trans people, I would maybe start by meeting more trans folks. It is hard during the pandemic of course. Generally community groups for trans people is a good place to start. In my area most of the trans groups also have social media groups. While I wouldn't go into these groups with a mission to find a romantic or sex partner, it is a good start. The benefit in my opinion of trans people dating trans people is that you don't have to explain as much and perhaps you can relate to each other more.

The biggest reason also why I recommend community groups is to increase the amount of friends you have who can relate and empathize with you. We always tell people 'you are not alone' and I dislike that statement because usually the person who thinks/feels they are alone don't feel that counter statement I mentioned is true. What I prefer to say is 'you don't have to go through this alone'. So certainly consider honing in on a group.

chicodeoro likes this.
  6. Old Dog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Quiet Peace said it best, Rebound Relationship,,, NO,

sweetfemme90 likes this.
  7. Mathilda

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    To be honest I am in sort of the same situation, I finish an 8 years relationship in order to protect her, cause I am unsure of my Gender. I am super confuse ( details in my previous post in the forum), burt the main thing it was what seems fair to me at the moment, do I repent myself?, sometimes yes. But we are staying as friend at the moment. She know i am in doubt, but not at the extend i have really described before. I cannot give you any advice, but my simpaties. We are on the same boat...

8. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I agree with most of what's been said already. First give yourself time to work out where you see yourself in terms of your gender.

Speaking personally, I think diving into a new relationship just because you're missing the companionship of the old isn't a good idea at the best of times, let alone when you're feeling unsure and confused about yourself.

I'm in a similar position only in that I know I want to date again at some point, but there's no way that I'm going to be ready emotionally until I'm some way down the road to full transition. I want to feel loved again, but as me, a trans woman. Not the person I once was.

Beth

9. Katelyn93

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thank you all for weighing in, I appreciate the sincerity of your replies. You're right though, just going into anything new for the sake of not being alone wouldn't be love nor would it be fair towards someone else until I've got more clarity either. It all feels very pressing at the moment and I'm sure it's just because everything is still so raw and I feel like I can't be loved for me, I can't even love myself, so I'll have to keep being the cis man that I've portrayed if I want to have a companion, which is likely not true either. Emotions can be a real pain sometimes. I guess I just need some hope in that it's possible to find someone thats okay with dating a CD or trans girl or whatever I am.

10. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The good news on that is that I have found someone who really does seem ok with the fact that I was AMAB and cares about me as me. The hard news though is that I had to "kiss a lot of frogs", I unfortunately found that most of the people that I dated were abusive in some way (either using me for their own profit or fetish).

11. Katelyn93

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Quiet Peace, I'm really sorry to hear that. I'm happy you did find someone though. It seems like a hard road which adds to my concerns, making me wonder if I shouldn't keep repressing things for the sake of having healthy relationships but I guess that would just add to the problems in the long run too. Dishonesty ruins things. Thank you for the positivity though.

whatisaman likes this.
  12. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I tried that, it does not work. I even submitted to conversion "therapy", it was a disaster for everyone involved. Lying to yourself and your significant other (which is what pretending that you are someone who you are not is) is not a basis for a healthy relationship.

13. Katelyn93

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've read that before. That might very well be why things kept falling apart with my ex. She had an ideal partner and I wanted to be that, but it just isn't who I am. I'm still tempted to strive to be that for her. Maybe if I can be less this or more that... Stupid logic. Thank you again for the input. I really do value the point of view.