1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating someone of the same name

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Canterpiece, Jan 3, 2022.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Would you do it? How about someone with the first name that is your middle name? I'm currently talking to someone on a dating app with a variant of my middle name. At the moment it's just casual talk, so it might just be a friendship, but it got me thinking - would it be weird to date someone like that?

2. Loves books

Middle name wouldn’t be a problem for me, but I don’t even like being in the same room as someone with the same first name. I never know who people are talking to, me or them.

3. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I would. It doesn’t seem (to me) like a reason worth rejecting a potential partner.

I do know of two women, who are now married, who have the same first name snd surname (surname was the same prior to marriage). I guess you may end up opening the wrong post, but I can’t see it being a major issue.

4. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, of course. You can't discount people just because they share your name. If you have a very common name you could eliminate a significant number of people for no good reason whatsoever.

In most cases where a couple share the same name, one of them will make a small change to avoid confusion. For example, Andrew and Andy or Catherine and Cathy. There is usually a workaround.

5. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My first name is uncommon, so being in the same room as someone with the same first name rarely happens. When it does, which has happened on occasion, we're both surprised. My chances of matching with someone with the same first name are low. Not impossible, but it's incredibly unlikely. However, my middle name is actually fairly common - I am much more likely to encounter people with that name rather than my first name.

There's a chance that her name actually stands for something else, it is most commonly a shortened version of my middle name, but a less popular possibility is that it has been known to be the shortened version of a different name. I'd have to ask to find out for sure. Even if it is my middle name, I suppose that isn't too bad, besides - most of my chats on such apps rarely go anywhere, so it's probably not worth overthinking it.

6. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Update: I decided to ask, and as it turns out - it isn't short for anything. That it is, simply, her name. As foolish as it is, I hope that we get to meet up someday. I know I'll probably get ghosted, but still, she seems nice and I hope we get to know each other. Sorry, I guess I'm derailing my own thread here. :sweat_smile:

7. BraxtonBT205

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My name is Braxton, so I'm not too worried about meeting someone with the same name. And even if I did, it would be a little awkward.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A friend of mine named Joel was in a relationship with another Joel for a number of years. Other than the occasional confusion when both were in the house and someone wasn't sure which Joel was being called, it posed no problems.

9. BiGemini87

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've honestly wondered about this, myself. Strange as it would be (I don't come across that many people who share my name, though I wouldn't say it's uncommon, either--just somewhere between) I think I could do it if there was chemistry there. Like others have said, there's always a way to work around it in social settings, like one person shortening their name or using a nickname. :slight_smile:

#9 BiGemini87, Jan 6, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  10. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I doubt its any different than when a family names all their kids the same name. Heck at some of my family get together if you yelled for a David, six people would pipe up.

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with this since some names are so common in different age groups. The other thing to consider is that the two people with the same name might be different enough from each other that it makes for a good match.

12. Stephanie00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I uuhhh actually like a girl that’s Stephanie too but in a different language XD