1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damn you technology!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by BothWaysSecret, Oct 17, 2018.

1. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just have to rant right now. Sorry about the length of this.

I am so frustrated right now. For about a week I've been trying to apply for a job at a hospital, but technology is preventing that, because I've had different problems on different browsers and computers , so I don't know if it's me or them.

So the hospital's website has a job portal where you apply online. I get to the part where you upload a resume and after uploading the document, get an error message. Then it offers the option to use your LinkedIn account instead. Try that; get an error message. Then there's a message at the bottom that says I can fill out the application manually instead of autofill. Okay. I chose that option. "Error: you must upload a resume" Now I'm annoyed.

I figure I'll try it on a different browser....Same results. I call the human resources department in the hospital and explain the situation. They tell me to try it on Internet Explorer. So not only is that the dinosaur of internet browsers, I also have to download it onto a computer because none of mine have it. I figure I'll try it on the only other browser I know of before moving to IE, and I get the same results.

So now I'm really pissed off. I download IE on an old laptop and try it out. On IE, I can access the hospital's website, but get a "page cannot be displayed" when the job portal tries to load. Refresh the page. Nothing. That's it, I give up, I'm done!

So I've literally tried to apply on each of the four best known web browsers, and had problems every time. Not sure if it's me or them but I don't know why it's so damn difficult to apply for a job on their website. To make it worse, I can't even apply in person because when I originally called about the issue I asked about coming in to the hospital in person or faxing a resume to them and they said no, they only accept applications on the website.

I hate technology with a passion sometimes...

2. Really

@BothWaysSecret ,

That totally sucks. Do you remember the error you got when you tried to upload your resume?

3. Johnnie2x4

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, considering you've tried it on four different browsers (including the one HR told you to use), I'm pretty sure it's them. Pretty worrying that a hospital is using such antiquated technology to find new employees; especially since they only accept applicants through their website.

4. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not surprised honestly. Having spent a ton of time around hospitals and medical offices growing up, the one thing that's always the same is anything not critical to the medical care is totally neglected to save money, including non-medical support staff members. There are tons of offices and hospitals that still use pagers, fax machines, 10+ year old computers and barely have a website at all, let alone a working one.

5. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I hate those online job applications. A lot of them want you to both upload a resume and fill out the application. And then, if you don't have enough references or something that is required, then it will not let you submit the application. It is so annoying.

6. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hate that too! Like, whats the point of filling out the application with the same info on the resume?

7. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @Really

Yeah. it says "An error has occurred. Please try your resume or profile again. If this problem persists, please try another submission method or try a different resume file."

Keep in mind, it accepts a few different file formats. .doc .docx .pdf. txt. .rtf. and html. I've tried several times using Word document files and PDF files with no luck.

Then for the LinkedIn option it says: "Unable to access your profile, please try again or try a different method."

8. Really

Two things.
    1) Maybe your attachment is too large? It probably isn’t in today’s world but if their system is older, it might be. So, maybe an rtf version might work?
    2) Where have you been trying to do all this from? Maybe try it while you’re on a different network. In a public library or...?
    Just some thoughts.

9. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What even is an .rtf file? I have never heard of that before. Every file I have uploaded is between 80 and 120 kilobytes. They don't even mention a file size limit on the site which makes it more frustrating because I don't even know if it's too large.

Every attempt I have tried has been on my home network, using three different computers: a PC desktop, PC laptop and Mac laptop. One of my friends also suggested trying the library. Guess I'll have to give it a shot there.

10. Really

An rtf file is a “rich text file”. Basically, just text but with slightly more formatting but not much.
    Those don’t sound very large but who knows why a system will choke?
    Frustrating.

11. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ah okay. Can I get an rtf file in Microsoft Word? That's the word processor I use.

12. Really

Yes. You’ll see it in the Save As... dialogue box.