1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creating character profiles?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Clinker, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Clinker

Clinker Guest

hello all
    Mainly basing this at artists, writers and role players.
    Im in need of a bit of advice.

Ive recently got back into sketching and general doodling, but id like to know how to properly create a character/avatar for either general purpose, role play, comics or other means. And, though i can get the character drawn, Im having trouble mainly in the profiling of the character IE: backstory, interests, skills, etc

I looked online but theres quite a few examples/bases of various sizes and usefulness

I have one character (or at least his bust) drawn, with a loose idea of what 'Clinker the lion' is like and his story. But i have various other characters that need either improvements or general overhauls before going anywhere with them.

Any tips, examples, etc on profiles?

2. iliketolift1

A laundry room. Pretty happy here. I think...
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I suggest after the first sketch you draw your character in various poses and outfits etc. Once the design for your character is completely final I highly recommend black and white personality sketches. These pieces show the most emotion and showcase the characters traits without having to put it down in writing, its a extremely common practice in video game concept design. Writing wise, a brief summary (a couple of paragraphs) of your characters back story, including any arcs or progression in personality as time progresses along with a short profile (bullet points work) containing general info/skills next to a photo graph would work. For me I generally dedicate a few pages in my moleskin to just drawings then another page with basic information and then another with detail.

3. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're usually not going to think up a story when you first make a character, and if you try to write one it'll feel forced. Usually It's best to get a feel of the character by thinking different ideas in your head. Or even better- take a look at their design and think up small details. Do they look like they'd be into cooking or martial arts? Do they look like they'd have any siblings? Find small details first and then expand larger ones.

4. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I run into this all the time when making my characters. I think Creativemind's advice is very good.

I have done a little writing prompt in the past and it has always helped. Write a small scene/situation. Place the character into that situation and see how they'd navigate it. I found that in the heat of the siuation, the character's personality, traits, and some background flows out naturally.

5. Justinian20

Hmm, because I don't draw, I tend to create backstory first and the personality comes in there as well. But I have some advice, imagine your character in a situation, what would they do. Then develop the personality from that. Like for me, making an insane character means that he has to have multiple personalities and things he does with those personalities and I commonly with roleplaying try and make my characters what they are.

6. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Start with the simple stuff: do they have siblings, are their parents alive, do they get along with family, did they do well in school, favorite food...
    Faults are also important: short fused, greedy, constantly tells lies, racist, misogynist, robbed a bank...

Think in broad things first, then narrow down specifics.

7. Cinis

Cinis Guest

I personally find it helpful to look at the clothes/ materials the character is wearing and then finding explanations for their looks.

I also find it easier to look at the stance and mood they're in to get a feel for their personality ie. are their muscles relaxed etc.
    And what views could a person like that have? Or why did they become the person they are? How could their surroundings have shaped them?

That's what works for me...hope it helps a bit?