1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coping advice/resources

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by DirectionNorth, Jun 22, 2017.

1. DirectionNorth

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't want to get into too much detail, but I wanted to see if any of you have advice or coping methods for dealing with ptsd from sexual harassment/assault/abuse? I just started with a new therapist whom, i'm hoping, will be more helpful than my last one. It's taking time to, not only get to know each other, but to initially tell her all my experiences and everything. In the meantime (especially since I hadn't been getting the help I needed for a couple years while with the last one- her approach was mainly being a listening ear when I needed cbt or skills to deal with flashbacks and the experiences), I'm getting more impatient with how slow dealing with this is and need some kind of help or advice.

While I've also dealt with problems on the street/commute with strangers, the main things that sting the most are the health professionals who did it. 3 female nurses, a male nurse, a social worker.

A good thing about my last therapist though, is she wanted me to write to the facilities and have my mom talk with a lawyer to see what can be done. I can't get myself to because i'm sure i'll be met with why I didn't do anything sooner or not being believed (after the social worker left, and after i had broken down and told my mom, I tried telling the receptionist with my mom in detail everything he said and did, and she just brushed it off saying something like "he cares, he cares about your well-being"). And aside from that, with how entitled they were acting and sure of themselves, and with how many different professionals have done this, I must deserve this. This wasn't just one time or from one person (which would hurt enough as it is), this was a few different professionals.

I apologize for this having become a rant/vent and being so long and all over the place- yesterday was only my second session and, like I said, we're still getting oriented and started. And it's taking a while to even initially walk through my history.

2. RoseChan00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Now, I don't deal with these problems personally, but i will say vensang out the frustration you can vent out is always helpful. I d9n't mean to speak with someone... write it down on a piece of paper and then burn it/shred it. Go to websites where you say something and then watch it dissapear (Those exist, one was just shouting into the void)

Now, again i lioe to say the point i personally don't deal woth the exact same problems, but i do think it's always best to get your emotions and your fears into something private... and then remove them. Make sure nobody, not even yourself, can acess what you had written again. It can be a releif in a certain way.

I'm sorry if my advice was not useful, i jsut tyougyt it might be a good approach to help yourself cope as, let's say you burnt a piece of 0aper or a diary that held all your bad experiences. In a way its symbolic of letting them go, and letting them fade. It can lift weights off your shoulders... but... i do understand if this doesn't work for you.
    And i'm also sorry if this wasn't the type of advice you were seeking.

3. DirectionNorth

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was thinking of trying something like that, at least with the letter to get something started. I don't know why i'm having a hard time getting myself to start that.

4. RoseChan00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It isn't something very easy to start,as you feel u co.fortable writing it down for any number of reasons. What i recommend you do is do it right now. It doesnt have to be about your experiences. Just write something down, just how you felt today. Like if you felt a little down just write "Today i felt pretty upset. Something came up and it caused me a bit of distress".
    Write simple notes to start off, and slowly but surely you'll start writing in more detail, and it will have much more releif tied to it.

At the very peast it worked for me.

5. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wish I could be there for you, mon ami. Drop me a message on my profile and maybe we can chat. Seems like you just need someone to really listen.