1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conversion books on amazon

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by DirectionNorth, Jul 4, 2019.

1. DirectionNorth

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm very disturbed that when I typed in lesbian and lesbianism into amazon's search bar for books, so many conversion books popped up of "recovery from lesbianism" "life after lesbianism", etc, most talking about God and Jesus and stuff. I'm so upset now- while I was expecting one or two books here and there in the mix, the majority of books were these, very few are about art or history or anything positive, the majority of them were conversion books.

I'm so disgusted and angry and hurt there are women who will look at me and think or say "why do you think this is an okay lifestyle? You will go to hell" blah blah. Being a sensitive person, it gets to me, it hurts, it scares me they'll force or trick me into bad things to try to "salvage my soul for god" and that crap.

2. GhostCake

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Selling those kinds of books should be forbidden. If anything, they're an additional health risk by making people scared that something is wrong with them or worse.

You are wonderful the way you are and you can love whoever you love. It's no ones place to tell you how to feel - with book or not. This just shows we still have a long ways to go until everyone can live without fear of being judged.

Hope you have a lovely day despite discovering something like this.

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, there are signs of movement on the part of Amazon. Within the last day or two they have removed a load of books by Joseph Nicolosi
    https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc...sial-books-father-conversion-therapy-n1026446

It's a shame it took so much campaigning and pressure to remove all of the crap he wrote, but it shows what is possible when we refuse to accept it and keep plugging away. That's what it means to be proud.

4. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It depends on the territory or country actually. That actually is legal to own and sell in the USA due to the 1st Amendment actually

5. Loves books

You need to be a little more specific when doing a search on Amazon. If you search for a specific topic you’ll get more options. I don’t know if you can police what Amazon sells. If it has books like that available then some people might have been looking for them. The people who buy them may discover in the future that conversion doesn’t work. You’re born gay and no amount of homophobic reading material can change it. Also you’re not buying the books and for all you know they might not be selling. I’m kind of interested to see how they managed to delude themselves in to believing they are straight but not enough to actually seek out the books. I’ll stick to my lesbian romance and hope that when I search for lesbian romance I won’t have to look at erotica about threesomes or titles starting ‘seduced by my lesbian...’ There are several variations on those titles. They are not romance, they are erotica and bad ones at that. I try to ignore them when looking for something good to read but occasionally I see a title that just makes me think why? I have nothing against erotica if you’re in to it,and I don’t mind sex scenes in the middle of a novel,but some of that stuff sounds messed up. Is there a way to limit what Amazon will show you. Children can go on Amazon and any young teenage girl looking for teen or young adult lesbian fiction will also end up with pages full of erotica titles interspersed with books that they may want to read. Also you don’t need a young teen confused about their sexuality finding the conversion books and thinking they can be cured.

6. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I actually bought a conversion book on Amazon awhile back, it was called "Changing Homosexuality in the Male: Treatment for Men Troubled by Homosexuality." It was the only non-religious book on the subject I could find that took a strictly scientific/psychological perspective, unfortunately it was written in the 1970s and didn't provide me with much useful information and it was really dated. I donated it to my library, which has a slew of weird LGBT books.