1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contemplating an "Androdgynous" Haircut, could I pull off an Erika Linder cut?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by WallWeed, May 19, 2015.

1. WallWeed

Greetings, friends (and foes?)!

Well, the time has come. After having hair down to my crotch for umpteen years, I'm finally looking into whackin' it off and going for a more androgynous look. I absolutely ADORE Erika Linder's style, and her (their?) hair, but I ain't no model by any stretch, so I've come to my favorite forum for advice.

Anywho. So, here's a few half-reared shots I just took of myself, attempting to shield my Rapunzel-esque mane and imagine what I'd look like with a couple of feet bundled up in an envelope on its way to Locks of Love.

Library Slideshow by EdBogie | Photobucket

And I'm looking for something along the lines of this...

1) http://data1.whicdn.com/images/53891870/large.jpg

2) https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f5/2f/e4/f52fe42123c390520292b8001b10c31b.jpg

3) https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ea/47/dd/ea47dd1465d67fbcb8657468b9e827c7.jpg

4) http://mortalinstruments.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/TMI-Jace-013.jpg

Well, whadaya think? Could I pull it off? If so, any idea of how much maintenance it would take for fine, thin hair that doesn't hold squats for squats? If not, do any of you fashion Nazis have any suggestions for what would fit my face, etc...

I don't identify as fully trans, but I definitely fall more on the masculine side of genderqueer and I want to avoid the stereotypical fauxhawk/buzz cut butch look.

Thanks in advance for any input!

2. CCcharges

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    omg, I think that would look awesome on you. I personally really like 1 and 3, maybe somewhere in the middle between those two? (which is probably most like 4). I think the puffed up, pulled back look of the front of the hair would look really awesome on you! The length would help you avoid that "butch" stereotype and you would be able to play around with it and go for any side of (or the center of) the spectrum you like!

For thin hair, you will need some kind of hair wax. My hair is fine as well, I use hair wax to push it up and back and when I REALLY need a boost, I use hair starch to thicken up the hair and give the wax something to hold onto before the wax. Your hair might also take on a different feeling once you cut all your hair off, when you go from so much weight pulling on the roots your hair might be like WHOA. So much freedom! But just for a couple days or so probably.

3. WallWeed

Thank you! Much appreciated. :slight_smile:

Does anyone know what terminology I would use when talking to a barber? I'm looking at it and thinking some form of an undercut, but I can't tell if it's really shorter or just combed back. I don't want it shaved super short all the way around. Would I say a disconnected undercut with longer (faded?) sides? And is that about 5 inches up on top? This is all so foreign to me, haha.

4. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think any of those cuts would really suit you. I find #2 kinda hard to tell what is happening with the hair (it's hard to see it), but any of the others look great. I like 1 and 3 the most, leaning towards 1 for you particularily. But maybe show these to your barber and see what they think also. Segway into your question, just show your barber the picture you choose, don't worry about terminology. Much simpler and less potential for confusion.

#4 Ronin, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015