1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Constructive Thread on Facing New US Administration

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by falconfalcon, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Czarcastic

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most people understand that no-one is going to be thrown in an oven and slavery isn't going to be reinstated and women will still vote. Furthermore, this thread is about moving on.

Moving on is about confronting the ugly elements that a Trump Presidency will bring and talking about how Democrats can work in the next two and four years to get a Democratic Congress and President. I'm sure that if the result had been different then Republicans would be discussing how their party moves forward from defeat.

The Democratic Party are going through a phase that all political parties go through in the political wilderness.

2. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

You wouldn't think that from all the protests and "Rape Melania" signs and people talking about how genuinely terrified they are. That doesn't sound like "oh well, we have to do better next time"

If I had said after Obama got elected that black people were going to destroy society and I was afraid of all those Black Panthers who voted for Obama were going to come and get me, I would have been laughed at. You also wouldn't have believed for a second that that type of reaction was "Oh, were just reorganizing"

This type of anti-intellectual reasoning is poison to society. If you're "just reorganizing" then tell the protestors to pack it up and go home. If you're not actually afraid, then tell the protestors to pack it up and go home. You're party is wasting tax payer dollars sending tax payer funded police to these protests when they could be out doing productive things like, preventing crimes, solving crimes, etc. It's such a waste of resources.

3. Cinis

Cinis Guest

That might or might not be true but it ultimately isn't what the majority of people have been discussing in this thread so I don't see how this particular criticism fits here.

---------- Post added 17th Nov 2016 at 10:58 PM ----------

As in the people in this thread aren't protesting or holding " Rape Melania" signs ao why are you criticising this when it has nothing to do with the topic of the thread itself?

4. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm responding to someone who responded to me. I'm allowed to defend my position, right?

The thread is about how to face the new administration. What more do you need to discuss then to go on with your lives? How many people who didn't vote for Obama went on with their lives for eight years?

5. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Defending your position is fine, so long as it's within the discussion.

The reason this thread was made is that we, as LGBT people, mostly Democrat, are placed in a very precarious position.

Trump has made his Vice President Mike Pence, the man who has arguably condoned conversion therapy and not 2 years ago tried passing a bill that would allow businesses to discriminate based on sexual orientation (the bill was passed with LGBT protections, much to Pence's chagrin). He has also now just made the chief of Breitbart a member of his cabinet (I know Milo Yiannapolous is a thing. That's for another discussion). The Right Wing have been telling us that because Trump has held up a pride flag and said he would protect LGBT people, that he'll actually follow up on that. And looking at his past business records, and considering he's got Pence as his right hand man and he's also just nominated someone who thinks gays should be in jail for having sex, it's very hard to believe that he will.

Meanwhile, the streets of the US are flooded with protests and riots. Both sides are condoning violence and murder, and we're being told to keep quiet about voting a candidate that the rest of the world has explicitly told us to keep away from. We're also seeing other people from the Left look at what's been done, look at the past and say "Hey, probably not a good idea to insult people. That's not how you create a world ready for change, rather it's the opposite."

I'm not sure about Obama (although I did vote for his re-election), but I don't remember any of this being an issue when he was elected. And I would say that because of all of this, now is the perfect time to actually talk to each other and see what we need to do. Should we keep protesting in the streets and REALLY tell the world that Trump's platform isn't what we stand for? Should we just go back to our lives as if nothing really is going to happen and risk our own lives as citizens? Should we ease up or double down? Should we resist the insults but keep protesting in the streets? Is there a totally different direction that nobody's thought of yet? It's a very tight situation where we are, and to ask the question rather than just go on blindly, I think is a much better idea, and it's something we've needed to do for at least a decade.

#25 Jinkies, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016