1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confusion about GIC and HRT

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Bernice, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Bernice

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Two weeks ago I got my doctor to refer me to a GIC. Although I'm still questioning I know there is a long waiting list (2 years) and I wanted to get the ball rolling. I have been under the impression that I need this appointment to see if I can/want to transition and if so to be able to get onto HRT.
    However one person I know on twitter has just got her appointment but she is already on HRT I believe.

My question is. Do I have to wait until I see the GIC before I can go on HRT or am I wrong?

2. AshDee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oof uh I really think it depends on where you are and how your doctor's office works. I'm from the US so I really only know how our healthcare works; which honestly even within the US it varies state to state, insurance company to insurance company. For me, all I needed was a GD diagnosis and at least one meeting with the endocrinologist before I could start. I got my GD diagnosis from my therapist. She doesn't specialize in gender or LGBT+ related issues but she's still qualified (at least in the state I'm from) to diagnose me. So I guess that's what made it fast for me? I was able to get the diagnosis pretty quick.

Sorry, that wasn't very helpful. I recommend asking around and maybe doing a bit of light research?

Bernice likes this.
  3. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes you need to either go through an NHS GIC or you can pay privately to get HRT, the private clinics are gendercare and the London transgender clinic. I expect the person on twitter went privately whilst she was on the GIC waiting list, a lot of people do, including myself. Then you can get surgeries etc. through the GIC.

Some GPs will provide bridging prescriptions but I've only ever heard of it happening once and it has to be extreme circumstances/a GP that's comfortable with prescribing under their own judgement.

Bernice likes this.