1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Concerned about my 13 year old Son

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Eini, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Eini

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello,

As the title says i am very concerned about son who came out as gay half a year ago.
    Everything was good until recently.
    Whole family accepted him, but the problem are our relatives etc..
    He recently got in relationship with other 13 year old boy, and thats fine, they are booth very nice and kind.
    But almost everyone of our relatives are trying to convince me that i should forbid my son having any relationship with any boy, and also that i should get him some help, and they are acting not so nice towards him to. And that also makes me confused, because we are living in a country where differences are very tolerated, and people mind their own business, just not our relatives as it seems.
    Also my son is aware of that, and naturally he is sad because of that.
    And i dont want to fight with my relatives, but i dont think i have any other choice, since i strongly disagree with them. And i know how hard that is for my son, i just want that he is happy no matter what he is or who he loves.
    Edit: posted in wrong forum right? i am sorry about that. i just saw there is family category to..

Thank you in advance.

#1 Eini, Oct 21, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  2. Billy the kid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so sorry that you're relatives are not supportive of this. I would try and find an LGBT support group that can help you with this. Or a therapist that specializes in that area? I don't know what else to say? The main thing is to support your son as you already know and are doing that. If your family can't come around I would focus and surround yourself with people that do support you. Friends are the family that you choose to have. If there are family members that do support you keep an open communication with them. In time maybe some of the others will come around. Try not to spend every waking moment focusing on this. Go about your life and give your son all the unconditional love and support you always have. Hopefully some more people will comment with more ideas and strategies. Good Luck!!! :slight_smile:

3. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello,

Nope, you posted in the right forum. This one is used more frequently to parenting advice. :slight_smile:

About your question, first of all, congratulations on being a great, supportive mom!

I don't think you need to directly fight your relatives about this, but you need to make it clear that you will stand up for your son. In other words, you don't need to discuss your actions as a mom with your relatives if you don't want to - but if they are not being nice with your son, you need to make it clear that you are ok with him being gay and it's up to you and your son to talk about it (if there's something to talk about), not them. If they insist, i personally recommend you end the conversation, if you are uncomfortable with it. It is definitely not ok for them to interfere in your son's life without your permission, especially about him being gay, which is, as you probably not, totally normal and fine.

Unfortunately, even in places where differences are apparently accepted, hypocrisy is very common. "Oh, i "accept" gays, but..." , "it is ok if your son is gay, but..." is, sadly, a common phrase.

On a side note, he is very young, so it would be nice to check if he understands what a relationship means and what does he expect from this relationship. But if that is clear in your communication with him, then i don't see any problem.

4. Eini

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes we were thinking about that to.
    thanks for your answer, we were thinking about that to. but we will see.

Thanks for your answer.
    ill support my son, no matter what.
    Yes i try not to fight, but i dont think they even understand that they are hurting my son with their words, and me. They think that 13 year old has no feelings and has no clue what he is doing, but i had many conversations with my son about that, and he clearly understands what being gay means. I also made some rules, so things wont get out of hand, but nothing harsh.
    And he is very nice, has a great personality and never fights back(maybe thats not so good). Sadly personality means nothing to some people, and if you are any different, they dont accept you.

5. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello Eini! Welcome to EC!:slight_smile:

Thanks for being such a supportive mother of an LGBTQ child!

As I'm sure that you understand, if your son took the extraordinary step of Coming Out to you, he is sure enough of his sexuality to know that he's not straight and since he chose to identify as Gay, that is most likely what he is. However, only he can ever actually KNOW his own sexuality and everyone else just has to take him at face value when he chooses to express it. Many of us (straight and LGBTQ alike) really only start to understand our sexuality around puberty, which most often occurs around age 13. I can tell you that from my own experience, I knew very well during my 13th year of life that I was other-than-heterosexual. It still took me a long time after that to understand and accept my actual sexuality, but that was mainly because of a serious lack of available information - I just thought that I was some kind of unique freak who was attracted to both guys and gals because I never even heard the term 'bisexual' when I was growing up through my formative teenage years.

I think that it is very sad that many of your relatives are so closed-minded. I know that you would like to think that Finland is an open-minded country when it comes to individual sexuality, but there are other people here on EC from Finland who face/have faced discrimination from their families for their LGBTQ reality.

Perhaps to start to overcome the issue that your immediate family has with your relatives, you could start to educate them on the realities of sexuality. For example, there is a really good pamphlet from the PFLAG organization in the US that you could download and print for them - and, as necessary, perhaps translate for them. It's called Our Children.

Beyond that, I would suggest that you just continue to treat your son's sexuality and dating preferences as completely normal. That should at least give him some immediate comfort. And whenever you do that in front of 'disapproving' relatives, it should give them some thought. Unfortunately, perhaps the only way that you will be (hopefully) able to bring some of your relatives around to a common understanding of treating your son decently, if not openly lovingly, may entail cutting them off from contact with your immediate family. I know how important family is in Finland and, of course, it will hurt you to do so, but if the long-term results are positive for your son and, hopefully, result in your relatives understanding and full acceptance of your son for who he truly is, then it would be worth the pain, don't you think?

Just some thoughts.

6. Eini

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for really nice and detailed answer. I still believe Finland is quite Open-minded country, comparing to some other countries. Because to be honest, there are only our relatives who cause those problems at the moment, there are many kids in school who know he is gay, and they mainly dont cause any problems. And my son overall likes to do different things than other kids, he is very involved into music, photography, art.
    And overall he is a very calm boy, and also because of that our relatives doesnt approve him, and thinks he is just wasting time, but im sure all what he learned already, that might help him allot in the future.
    I was also thinking of bringing my son to psychologist, so maybe they can talk with him to, but i dont want to force him, so ill have to rethink everything.

7. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Eini,

I don't think that taking your son to a psychologist/therapist is a bad idea at all. Assuming, as you said, that he would be willing to go. After all, you're his mom and there are certainly things that he feels (and probably will always feel) awkward/uncomfortable talking about with you. I was thinking of suggesting that in my last post, but it seems that you have a VERY clear handle/understanding of the situation.

From an LGBTQ-centric standpoint, nothing that you've described about your interactions with your son nor your concerns and thoughts for his future seem other than on-track and extremely understanding (especially for a parent who doesn't have previous experience with an LGBTQ child).

My personal advice would be that you take your cues from him, as you seem to be. Of course, he's only 13. Barely a teenager, and, as I'm sure your aware from your own personal upbringing, as we grow as teens more often than not we tend to grow away from our parents. Now, I'm not saying that that will be the case with your son - especially since you've created such an open and understanding environment in your family to allow him to Come Out to you about such a personal and private thing as his sexuality at such a young age. But, as I'm sure you know, rebellion against parents is a common teenage thing - as he grows older.

There is one other specific thing that I would like to address with you, which you didn't ask about and may not want to hear. That is sex. Very few schools on this planet teach sex beyond the basics of heterosexuality and protection against unwanted/unintended pregnancy. So I would point you to the resources on this website that describe having safe gay sex and, perhaps, you may want to direct your son to this website in the near future if he has other specific questions about gay sex.

http://emptyclosets.com/home/pages/resources/health.php

I hope that helps.

8. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Showing that you're not okay with their reactions might be beneficial in the long run, as your son would know that you don't only talk the talk you also walk the walk. It's one thing to say that you're okay, but it's a completely different thing to take a stand and demonstrate that you're categorically against their behavior towards your son.

And dating at that age is useful since relationship skills don't magically fall down from the heavens, they are learned at an early age and mostly stay with us for the rest of our lives. Think about how you could be his mentor and support person through his teenage years. Maybe there are even some parent-(lgbt)children relationship lectures, seminars, etc. in Finland, where you'd better inform yourself about the general problems and issues that lgbt children face while growing up and how you as a parent could be of an assistance.