1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Communities' forum

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Emberstone, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Emberstone

I noticed that we have, from time to time, threads devoted to certain groups, be they language, orientation, gender, etc.

It got me thinking that maybe there could be a benifit of having a forum section devoted to communities. It could be a place to bring people together with similer interests, situations, and foster deeper levels of community between the users.

it might be useful for people who are struggling with certain issues, such as maybe devote, religious people trying to figure out how to come out to their religious families, or someone who is seeking to start or run a LGBT club and could have a community of people who are experinced in that.

just thought I would put the idea out there. it could be another way for the EC forums to foster community and growth.

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

It's an interesting idea. Speaking only for myself, I'm not sure where the line would be drawn between a thread that would belong in a "Communities" forum and a thread that would belong in whatever forum it would go in now. E.g., if there was a thread for people trying to reconcile their sexuality and their religious beliefs, what would determine whether that thread goes into Support and Advice or Communities?

3. yes

yes

if it's a thread about a certain person's struggle, then it'd go in support i'd say, whereas it'd go in the community forum if it was a 'thread for everyone who has this or that in common to discuss this or that'. after all, most thread's are about one person's story and how they want advice, and others may tell parts of their stories as well but it's centred round the thread starter. that's what i think anyway!

4. If I recall, some months ago there was an EC survey about some restructuring of the forum. I think the survey suggested some similar restructuring of the threads. I didn't think that the system needed to be changed.

In regards to the suggestion provided in this thread, I'm agreeing with Owen. It would be difficult to make clear distinctions about what belongs in one forum and not in a related forum.

5. Juggalo

What about restructuring or adding a section based on your continent or general location?
    We have users from all over the world, and it could be easier for some users to relate to people from the same region as themselves. I personally would enjoy a Midwest forum or thread, and I'm sure some users in countries where LGBT rights are supressed would appreciate having access to users who they could identify with, as not all advice works for everyone and every place in the world. Cultures are different based on what country you are from, and culture plays a large part in who we are as a people.

On the other hand, NOT having semi-localised forums or threads can create a better sense of global community. Not to mention, some flame wars could have the potential to emerge between different region threads or foums, causing a disruption in posting.

I dunno. Food for thought.

6. I would be cautious about making too many subforums such that it becomes overwhelming to go through each section to find threads that interest you. On the flip side, having specific sections might help categorize threads better, but too much specificity may impede browseability of the website. I think the current layout strikes a nice balance. The locations-based subforums is an interesting idea, and I think it would work best if a sizeable population posts there, otherwise we would get some overrepresentation. How about making guilds :slight_smile:?

7. Fiddledeedee

There aren't currently (m)any location-based threads that I can see, so I doubt several subforums are needed.

8. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Not to target you specifically, but I think I can say with some certainty that that isn't going to happen. We've always been hesitant to implement any idea that separates the forum in any way, which is why, for example, the idea of a full-members only forum has been generally agreed by the staff to be a bad idea every time it has come up. I could easily see guilds have the same splintering effect on the community to an even greater extent, and since we're a support forum, that wouldn't be in our best interests.

9. dano22

dano22 Guest

I remember a similar argument earlier on having a religious based thread made specifically for gay christians. I think I get what you are saying about having area specific forums but Owen makes a good point. Although Specific forums for certain groups may help keep forum posts off topic and would also keep people into getting into a never ending argument when someone just wants a simple answer to their question. I gave this example before and I do not want the same argument over again lets say a gay christian comes on here and wants help finding a gay christian church and a poster comments "Screw religion it is not good for you" it defeats the purpose and just creates a distraction and the person's question never gets answered.

The best thing we can do is just ignore any out of control post on a forum and get the conversation on the right track. If someone has a question and if you are completely biased against their beliefs or what they are doing don't comment on it unless it is a very serious issue pertaining to their health or violence or something like that. I know you cannot control what everybody says on the forum but it is a policy that everyone could take to heart if anybody was willing to comply which I doubt will happen.

10. Gen

Gen

I do see what he means though. While I am not very sure of how actual "guilds" would work, it would be useful to have a "group" option, as seen on various social-netwoking sites. For instance, I remember when a friend of mine was trying to form a book club, it became overwhelling for that person to keep everyone interested because everything was essentially all over the place. There are also many other EC'ers with common interest that would love to be able to discuss them without having to create a thread and keep it bump'ed up.

I do agree that complete forums are definitely not the best idea. But I do think that simple "Group/Club" options would be fun. That way even if it is just a simple list of people, we could send out messages and organize times when we can all go to the chatroom or something and talk about ___, etc.