1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming to Terms

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by swimman68, Apr 20, 2019.

1. regkmc

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really struggle with this. I have always felt like sex has been important for me to maintain a connection with my wife. I still want that connection and still would like to have sex. She has always had a different libido....and now, she says that she doesn’t want to have sex with me because it will make her feel closer to me....and she is afraid of what I eventually may have to do. Which is perfectly realistic and understandable. And yet I am still upset. And probably most upset with myself for feeling like I will be responsible for breaking up our marriage and family. And she seems perfectly content to go on in this way.

2. jsm

jsm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, that’s hard. For me, it’s a bit the opposite as I could never have sex with him again and maybe be fine, but that very thing has been our problem for years - now it is just more clear as to why. Everything else is generally as I would want it to be with him.

In the end, we are responsible for the end of our marriages if it comes to that, aren’t we? In a way, I wish every day that my husband would just decide he doesn’t want to do this and leave. But I doubt he ever will. If I want a different life, I have to take responsibility for the end of this one. And that is terrifying. I want to keep all that I have (including a great relationship with my husband) but live a life with someone I can feel wholly with in all ways.

3. swimman68

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Any advice for dealing with the aftermath of coming out to a spouse? So far the reaction has been pretty angry and bitter. I’m trying to be patient and tell myself that I had a while to think it through so I need to step back and give that time. I know I am the one responsible but I’m not doing it to hurt anyone. My most immediate fear is that she is going to out me without me getting the opportunity to talk to people on my own terms. I don’t think I can get her to therapy so I’m on my own here. Trying to stay positive, just looking for anything that might help.

4. swimman68

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I felt like a weight was lifted from me when I came out, but now I’m realizing the really hard part is yet to come.

5. justaguyinsf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would do several things in your situation:

First, since you're not sure if your wife will out you to your kids, consider whether to come out preemptively; whether she outs you to others isn't really that important.

Second, start to think about what you want out of this situation going forward so that you're not in a reactive mindset and can start to think about positive things in the future you'd like to work toward;

Third, apologize and make amends; I think it's unrealistic to expect your wife to be other than angry because this is a big change in the terms of your marriage contract;

Fourth, at the same time don't continually seek forgiveness ... apologize and rectify what you can and then move on;

Fifth, see a lawyer about what you should do to protect your rights.

swimman68 likes this.
  6. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Dude, don't ever think you were/are alone. I spent many nights as a teenager crying myself to sleep asking God to take me home to be at peace. That's not me anymore, there are still some negative feeling once in awhile, life is so much better.

My wife had so many questions, we were able to just sit and talk them through without raising our voices. Only because she has worked in a hospital the last 12 years and has seen pretty much "everything." She has friends that are gay and has worked with Trans people and has discovered they are not "bad people" over the years. Things she would have never expected when we were dating twenty years ago.

Dean

Peterpangirl and swimman68 like this.
  7. swimman68

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I just thought I would share that things seemed to have calmed just a bit. Still dealing with the reaction, but at least we are talking about it calmly. I’m trying to answer questions as best I can and talk about what we want as we take the first steps to formally ending our relationship. It’s about timing and doing what is best to transition to a new phase of life. I really would like to maintain something positive...I am not necessarily doing this out of pure choice. I need to be honest about who I am and experience sex and relationships with men, which is the way I was meant to be. But that doesn’t mean I want to discard the good things about my married life. Thanks for the advice.