1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out with current wife

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 74andHome, Mar 16, 2023.

1. 74andHome

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Is there anyone out there who has come out to their wife? In the last year and a half since I retired it has become very real that I can’t hide anymore. I have been married to my wife for almost 34 years. We have a supportive but rather boring life. Very little energy on both sides. I’m fairly certain she’s had at least 2 affairs in the last 3-4 years. Can’t really say I am surprised and hope she enjoyed it. I however have stayed away from affairs because I have very little interest in having sex with a woman anymore and am not ready for a relationship with a man yet. I want to be both a man and a woman, but more than anything I want to be a woman. I’ve felt that way since I was 5 years old. So my dilemma right now is how do I tell my wife that I love her but I need to start some form of transformation in becoming a woman. That has begun (like started today) with wearing breast enhancers and a bra in public. I need to let her know at some point I likely plan to begin hormone therapy. Do I need to hold off and give it some time? Any thoughts or experience over this issue out there. Help!

2. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Coming out to my wife was difficult but was all worked up and stressed over nothing only thing I feel guilty about is coming out 8 years into our marriage and not at the beginning of our relationship.

Milquetoast and 74andHome like this.
  3. CaseyisBi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I spent six years in love with my wife and attracted to her just not as intense as the intimacy I had with a guy. I intentionally left how to tell my girlfriend Im gay on the youtube search on our tv to force myself into coming out to her

74andHome likes this.
  4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hey that is never going to be an easy position to be in but I think you have to be honest with her. Take it slowly and just explain to her how you feel. Give her space to take it all in and then to talk anything through she wants to. Hopefully the length of time you have been together will enable you both to deal with the current bit of your journey.

74andHome likes this.
  5. 74andHome

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for the comments everyone. It’s so comforting to have support around this issue. I’m comfortable coming out with everyone in my family except my wife. I have a granddaughter going to college who told me she is gay and the last time she came to visits it she came with her girlfriend and spent a few days with us before heading back to school. She and I had a long talk about how to tell her parents. I told her I was gender confused and she wasn’t surprised at all. She told me then to be who I really am and let it be what it is. I have to tell my wife but the words aren’t there yet. I just can’t believe here I am at this age and now I can’t pretend anymore - my true self is a woman. Thanks again for your comments. Love to hear more.

6. 74andHome

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn’t mention above that I’ve been seeing a therapist for almost a year. She recommended I join a support group, so I joined this forum. Between seeing my therapist and EC, I have reached a point where I’m going to start attending a support group in the next week. I go out regularly now for coffee dressed differently. Not extreme though. Jeans, sandals, polyester t-shirt with bra and inserts. I have done that enough to feel fairly comfortable but very aware of my surroundings. I’m an old person, so I probably am moving pretty fast. I’ve been putting this off since I was a child. Long story. I guess bottom line we’re all scared - until we’re not, and then we’re scared some more. I have to trust my instincts now that my consciousness has hammered me and made me see that I can’t hide behind the male stereotype any longer.

Rayland and Wanderlost like this.
  7. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was coming out as gay which in some ways is similar and others not I found it was like a self scales, on one side was my fear of coming out/telling someone etc and on the other was my need/ desire to come out/tell people. To begin with the fear was very heavy and far outweighed my desire but gradually as I joined EC and spoke to people etc my fear eased a little. On the other side of the scales my desire grew until eventually it just started to tip the scales the other way and my desire was greater than my fear. It didn’t mean my fear had disappeared completely but it made me able to take steps towards my desire. I hope you continue your positive journey.

74andHome likes this.
  8. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to my wife as bisexual about five years ago, also late-in-life, with grown kids.
    I practiced with my therapist to figure out what ways would be best phrasing, etc.
    I regret not having it written in a letter, because my wife “forgot” (consciously) a little while later, and I had to come out all over again but this time not as well planned. With a letter she would have had it to re-read all my careful words of love.
    I don’t regret coming out.

74andHome likes this.
  9. 74andHome

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks Decent for you comments. That’s really affirming. I read another thread about writing a letter. I’ve been formulating that in my mind for awhile, but don’t seem to have the right words yet. I’m trying to stay patient and approach this in a way that will be loving and supportive. My wife is pretty histrionic and controlling. For all she is and isn’t I’m really concerned she’ll totally freak out. I have to keep my mind around - slow and steady - but keep moving in the right direction. You’ve been very helpful. Thanks again.

10. 74andHome

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Random - You know it just occurred to me, my wife and I haven’t had sex more than a handful of times in the last 8 years or so. And I haven’t missed it. My guess is she has had a thing with someone at work and it hit me, Oh, those mysterious texts that get deleted faster than she can read them. I don’t care anymore and it’s okay. Can’t say I blame her if that’s the case. I’m still concerned about her reaction when she finds out. She needs to present to the world and her family that she’s got a sound and safe marriage. Sorry, I’m just talking to myself I think. Needed either way.

11. B1lat3ral

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Also regret I did'nt come out earlier.. would have changed my life.. I tried coming out every couple of years.. but yea.. chickened out.. True .. therapy also helped me get to that point where I could accept .. .. coming out to the wife followed. I think she was anyway suspecting somethings up with her constant "are you gay?" question when ever there was an altercations.

I know how you feel with wife having something on the side.. if I can say it that way...same scenario... I was fine with it when it came out.. had my own secret that I was hiding.

Appletree and wua like this.
  12. 74andHome

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I told my wife two nights ago. I am so relieved and at the same time don’t know where it will take me and us. My wife was not surprised that I was gender dysphoric. There had been too many hints over the years but she freaked when I took that to “I want to be both a woman and a man.” She asks me if that meant I wanted o have sex with both men and women. I took the high ground and said this isn’t about having sex, it’s about my sexuality and how I express it. Didn’t help. We haven’t spoken much since then. Just everyday conversation about “normal” stuff. Don’t know where this will go. But I know I did the right thing. What I won’t do I’m the future is pretend I’m something I’m not. Being on EC has been so helpful and help me across the line I may have not gone had the support not been there. You are awesome!

Appletree likes this.
  13. B1lat3ral

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thats a big step, wow! Now comes the hard work.. workung on your relationship.. My wife went into the "ignore the subject" mode, so hope your situation will be different, but agree, lets see where it goes. Wow! Still rapping my mind around it. But must say that you do feel better once you rip the plaster off..well was for me

14. 74andHome

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I totally agree. She can ignore it but it will cook inside her. Not sure what that will look like but whatever it is - it’s okay. I’m out and that’s who I am regardless of what she decides. At my age I’m much more interested in expressing my sexuality than I am in having sex. If the occasion arises with her or others I’ll go with it but it’s not what drives me today. You and others have been so helpful. Thank you so much.

15. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Wow 74, congratulations! It's a big step and a crucial one for you.

But one thing.. you said it's about 'your sexuality'. Is it? Sexuality is about who you are (and aren't) attracted to..I was under the impression this is about your gender orientation?

I'm just wondering because the difference is crucial in terms of your relationship going forward.

Hugs, Beth x

74andHome likes this.
  16. 74andHome

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks! Good question. It’s been important for me to separate the two (sex & sexuality). What I have is a need to express myself as Bi. Honestly that’s not about who or if I have sex , it’s about how I express myself . That’s just me. I’m open to sex with both men and women or even no one, but how I express my sexuality (who I am) is overarching. That’s how I see the word being used and with no contradictions for me. On another note, I’m not so much hung on names as I am in who I am and who those folks around me are. To me that’s helpful. chicodeoro, if I can explain further, glad to share and otherwise if need to vent I/we’re here.

17. 74andHome

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry. BETH

18. B1lat3ral

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was asked a question the other day when I talked about my feeling of "freedom". It is that I want to express my self as Bi and true, its not about sex. My question, and something I am still thinking about is what would that expression look like? Any ideas?

74andHome and Wanderlost like this.
  19. Wanderlost

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've noticed you come up with some truly thought provoking questions B1. I think there was at least one other one you asked that caused me to sit there in front of it for like 20 minutes before finally giving up and not answering, haha.

I will give this one a try though. What would the reason for the expression be? is it for you, or for others, or the cause? I think that bit is important to answer because it will influence how you express your orientation.

I suppose there are the obvious ways, like coming out on social media, or wearing Bi swag.

The trouble with the former is that it's sort of a one and done thing. I've known people who come out as Bi on social media. They get all worked up over it, feel like once they manage it they've conquered the world, and for two days they are covered with well wishes and congratulations. Then the attention wears off and by day three it's on with the rest of their lives, which actually didn't change one bit. The last person I know who did this subsequently began dating a guy, so now everyone presumed it was either a phase, or it just doesn't matter because she's in a straight relationship anyway. My selfish desire was really looking forward to her announcing a secret girlfriend to sort of consummate the deal. However, for the person who needs some sort of statement to the world, this is definitely an option.

Wearing Bi swag does have a more lasting effect as you can just keep flaunting it. The trouble with this is a bit of the "Hey, look at me!" factor is mitigated in 2023 by the fact that just about everyone could wear it, including straight friends and relatives wanting to show LGBTQ+ support. It might cause people to take notice though, which is sorta the point if that is you're goal. The Bi colors aren't' terrible, probably the best flag colors there are in the LGBTQ+ continuum. I'm not much of a "rainbow girl," myself because, just why?

Which gets me to my last thought. I think the ultimate and best reason for expression in anything, not just orientation, is for oneself. For me, this doesn't mean standing on cars in a parade, but it could, or dressing like Rainbow Road in MarioKart, even though that might be fun sometimes, or even coming out to 1500 "friends," or followers. (I never felt the need) My orientation oozes from me in subtle ways. It's how I live my day to day life as a queer woman. One day it might be a topic of conversation, another day it might be the music I listen too, or the movies and shows I watch. It could be that ugly belt I occasionally wear, or how I choose to voice my feelings on subjects that are LGBTQ+ related. It's how I respond to a compliment, or how I compliment others. It's, "A day filled with opportunities." And yes, it's also days of feeling shy about the whole thing, and that's okay too because it is itself a form of expression.

#19 Wanderlost, Apr 7, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2023
    74andHome and B1lat3ral like this.
  20. 74andHome

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wonderlost, that was incredibly well stated. Thank you for your thoughts. Very helpful and settling for me.

Wanderlost likes this.