1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out, who surprised you the most?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Kevins1197, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Kevins1197

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    How many of your former middle or high school classmates were you surprised to find out they’ve come out since graduation ?

I know of 8 girls and 7 boys and one teacher that I’ve know have come out as gay or bi in the last 20 years.

2. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out to my friends in my senior year of HS they wear not suprised I was Bi.

3. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am the only one that I know of (I graduated 40 years ago). I despised my school years and have only stayed in touch with a few people (by now only one of them) so there may be others (statistically there must be as my graduating class numbered nearly 400). As far as them being surprised or understanding, all of my family and people who were in the church that my family forced me to attend acted shocked and refused to accept me while everyone who I knew outside of that circle said something a lot like "oooohhhh, now it all makes sense".

4. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Kevin..... For me it hasn't been so much my classmates as it has been celebrities. I would see someone on TV and think; "They have to be gay!" So I saw Randy Harrison in "Queer as Folk" and thought; "he has to be gay", and he was! I saw Colton Haynes In "Teen Wolf" and thought; He has to be gay, and he was! I saw the Carver Twins also on Teen Wolf and thought, "they have to be gay" and one of them was! I saw David Archuleta on "America's Got Talent and thought; "He's got to be gay" and he is! When I am traveling I often will see someone and without even thinking much about it I will suddenly think..."he's gay". Of course I have no way of knowing and I don't go and ask them but I guess my gaydar really does work at least some of the time!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

Manipular likes this.
  5. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I was surprised most by myself. In that once I came out how quickly I adjusted to living life as a gay man. The intense internalized homophobia, the doubt, the unwarranted fears all just faded away. I was shocked how comfortable I became finally having a boyfriend and being open about it.

6. Bouldghirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly - the friends from school that I’m still in touch with know my situation. The others aren’t relevant. Mostly they have been accepting and those who haven’t are being blanked. Friendship is important so make the most of what you have. The rest can be ignored.