1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to your straight friends of the same gender

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by SuperNovaRoamer, Feb 10, 2009.

1. SuperNovaRoamer

Personally, I staggered my coming out to my friends. I came out at university where I had a very close group of friends. I started with my closest friends and worked slowly through the rest of the group. They were pretty much all girls and one other gay guy. It worked out fine :slight_smile:

However, I found it hardest to come out to my straight male friends. Growing up I only really had two close male friends. The first I took to a dance club on gay night and said 'surprise!!' hehehe. His girlfriend (my best friend) and I planned it all together. He pretty much gathered what was going on...he's a switched on kind of guy. Actually, I live with both of them now :grin:

The second was my oldest friend, and he was possibly the hardest friend to work up the courage to tell. I had known him forever (since I was about 5 years old) and he was the last friend that I came out to. We were all at a party at my aforementioned best friend's house and we were bored so we played spin the bottle (lame i know...but fun :grin:). It was all going predictably, and then I spun up my old friend. Everyone was like oh too bad and I was like, oh well, its now or never. So I crawled over and kissed him. Hehehe. I think he is still shocked to this day. After that I took him to the back room (get your mind out of the gutter...) and told him everything. It was quite a liberating experience.

Who else found (or is finding) it harder to come out to your straight friends of the same gender?

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At the time I was starting to come out, I had almost entirely female friends, as I went to an all-girls school. It was pretty tough coming out to them, though, and they were kind of creeped out, even though they tried not to show it at first.

3. kaster

Since Im at uni its ONLY uni people that know Im doing the whole girl thing right now and only one friend from home goes to my uni that knows.. Im hoping I dont have to tell even my best friends because I know they wouldnt take it well. Like they would be creeped out they couldnt help it. I love them all to death (not attracted to a single one of them, they are all very beautiful though, I think I just attract good looking friends :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). But we've have lots of kinda running joke things where one would slap my ass or something all the time and we hug a LOT and I've kissed a few of them in jokey ways. But I think if they knew I actually liked "that sort of thing" they'd be like "what, you want to sleep with me dont you?" that kind of thing.. And my twin sister wouldnt take it too well either.. But unless I get a serious girlfriend or something I feel no need to tell them.

4. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Only a few of my straight my friends know, all girls, some family-but then again only female cousins. I guess the problem lies with the masculinity issue, but eventually you can do it, my friends Pete, Bobby, Andrew, Steve and Sean were really open when I told them...wish everyone was like that.

5. riddlerno1

well ive only told one male friend so far but all my female friends know. I just cant bring myself to do it cos these male friends ive known for years and theres more riding on me telling them.

6. biisme

All my school friends that are girls, are straight. And all that I've told have been awesome. :grin:

7. SwissBoy88

actually my male best friend (actually the only male friend I have, all the others are girls) was the first one I came out to. It was difficult, but was fine with it (at least that's what he said). ....

8. FinalFantasyFan

I have a fairly complicated and weird coming out process under way, but I am absolutely finding it harder to come out to straight male friends. With the exception of two of my three of my friends from high school (I went to an all guys high school), nobody from my high school knows. It was a lot easier to come out to people at College because I met a ton of people who don't have a picture in their mind of who I am. I really want to tell my other high school friends, but I just can't do it. It wouldn't be so hard if I wasn't so afraid of moving on, I mean, I have known these people for 4 or more years, and I would be absolutely lost without them. I think that's why it is so hard to come out to straight friends of the same gender.

9. Dave

The only way I've been able to do it is alcohol (not that I'm recommending it)
    I came out with a mixed reaction with a couple saying that they didn't mind it but don't try to make a move on them. some were fine with it unconditionally and a couple tried hitting on me (surprising as they are 'claiming' to be straight) But it wasn't too hard, but I'm not done yet

10. Lychee

That's exactly the same as me !! Except I go to an all girls school, so all my school friends are girls

11. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really didn't have much trouble. I didn't come out until just before (and after) I graduated from college. Most of my college friends were the liberal sort who had no problem with it. I only still talked to two high school friends, and both of them were rather...well, asexual. They didn't date or talk about girls much, so it was no big deal to them.

Lex

12. davo-man

I didn't have much trouble...After telling a couple of them, I kinda assumed the rest knew and didn't "act straight" anymore. No problems, and all of them were fine with it. In fact, one was actually psuedo annoyed that I had told my girlfriends before him...Like I shouldn't told him as soon as I knew hehe :grin:

13. ccdd

ccdd Guest

Most people that know about me are LGBT themselves. I can't think of any straight men I've come out to - only gay or bi men. As for straight friends of the same gender - yes, I found that more difficult too, although most difficult were my older friends who I had more history of being "straight" with. Also, I've noticed that those straight female friends who have other gay friends are fine, but those who don't have that many gay friends always seem to assume that I fancy them.

14. ACDC

I just came out for to one of my male best friends, he was the first person and i think everything is alright. If they are truely your friends it will not matter to them

15. string3343

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i think that it would be kind of awkward, considering that they might think that you have a crush on them or something...

16. tm74

tm74 Guest

SuperNovaRoma - yeah - I'm stills struggling to come out to many of my gay friends - I don't make to make a big deal out of something like "you do know I'm gay too, right?" - but equally I don't want to keep dropping hints until they "get it"

My biggest hang-up at the moment is keeping worlds seperate - I have my work social-circle - my colleagues etc - but there's a crossover and I sometimes get close to saying something to a gay colleague, but then bottel out 'cos I don't want the world to get out around the office in general.

17. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I've only come out to 2 straight guy friends and one straight girl, so I have no idea if it's easier to come out to someone else. I still haven't mastered the ability to comfortably talk about it with them, I sorta missed my chance there

18. Stuie

I go to an all-boys school, but it's pretty accepting for the most part and I don't have a lot of girl friends, partially due to the bizarre structure of my year 7 and 8 class. Boys over one side of the room, girls over the other. I didn't really find it easier to tell my straight male friends than my girl friends, it was equally strange, yet liberating.

19. Celestial

Celestial Guest

The experience for me has been blah. Been outed way too many times.

20. Alex19

I havnt told any of my straight male friends but im sure they suspect. not to mention i think theyd b cool with it, but i havnt even told all of my straight girl friends but they must know too. only 7 ppl know about me but that number will grow in time- i hate pretending to b straight... such a chore...