1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to siblings

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by julia, Apr 23, 2012.

1. julia

I could really use some advice/tips on coming out to a sibling. I almost did it tonight, but I didn't, I felt so physically sick. I just wat to blurt out "I like girls". Please give me some tips on coming out to a sibling, it seems so hard..

2. NickD

Of course our experiences are not exactly the same, but hopefully you can gain some insight... I'm the youngest of 3 boys and my oldest brother was actually the first person I came out to in my family. Honestly, I would never have done it, but he pried a bit and I had a bit of liquid courage... But after telling him, I felt a huge weight lifted from my shoulders. Fortunately, he responded that he just wants me to be happy. But frankly, I feel that he could have said anything, because at least I knew that the truth was out to somebody.

That first experience led to a marathon of "coming out" that included both my parents, other brother, and sisters in law within the next 36 hours. It was an emotional roller coaster, but at the end (after much crying and reflection) I realized that I had never been happier, and I haven't regretted the way it happened in the least.

There is no one correct way to tell the people you love who you are. I know for me, I told them that everything they knew about me was still the same, but also with this one other thing added. I'm still me, and I have honored them with my truth by revealing a bit more about myself.

And if it helps at all, my exact words were "I am not really attracted to girls..." Of course you would change that to suit your needs :slight_smile: , but that was the easiest way for me to tell him. I hope my ramblings helped, otherwise, good luck! My thoughts are with you!

3. Curly

Well for me, I wrote a email to my older brother because we live far away from each other. For a couple of people who I find difficult to come out to, I still wrote a letter, and instead of sending it I read it to them. It kinda helped me not blabber and say random stuff and basically make no sense.

Coming out isn't easy and it takes some courage. I guess there really isn't a perfect way of doing it. Good luck!!

4. julia

I wish my sister would just ask me what's on my mind but I don't know how to bring it up...
    Yes your rambling definitely helped, I love hearing other people's stories. :slight_smile: And that actually is a great way to start, that doesn't seem as scary. Thank you <3

Oh, that is a good idea, I'm not too good with words, hah. And thank you <3

5. Cloudbreaker

I have only come out to one sibling so far, but the way I did, I actually had her guess. I told her I had a big secret and I gave her some clues and eventually she managed to guess what I was trying to tell her. It was over the internet, so waiting for replies was a little nerve wracking, but at the same time it gave us both enough time to be sure about what we were typing before pressing enter. And for some reason I got it in my head that it would be less of a shock if she came to the conclusion herself, but who knows if that's true or not. But anyway, it all worked out great in the end. If you want your sister to ask you, then there are ways to make it happen that way.

6. n8i2c7k

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I haven't come out to my siblings yet but I did just come out to a close friend who is pretty much like my sister. Anyway the hardest thing for me is trying to find the right time to do it. I mean unless you guys are talking about it all the time, this stuff doesn't really come up in normal conversation.
    I found that giving myself a deadline helped by making me find time to say it. Set some time when you'll be together with that person a lot and set a goal to come out to them during then. For me, I was on a trip with my friend and I told myself that I was going to come out to her on this trip even if I had to text it to her before she boarded the plane back home. Fortunately I found some time one night when we could talk and texted her "gotta tell you something." A bit enigmatic to say the least and I had to force myself to say it but I made a commitment to myself so I had to stick with it.
    Idk much beyond that as I haven't come out to any family as of yet but I hope it helps :slight_smile: