1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out to My Parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by anotherBI, Mar 18, 2018.

1. anotherBI

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am bisexual and I really do want to come out to my parents. I tried to come out to my mother but she thought I was confused and is now really worried about me. I can't fully blame her because I was unprepared and that could have came off as confusing (I backfired on myself and said I was straight after. smh). She has brought up the topic of my sexuality a few times but I shot it down everything because I was scared. She has done some reading about teens questioning their sexuality and has offered to take me to a councillor. I am out to a few close friends and they have helped me gather some courage but I am still wary because of how worried my mom is about me. She thinks I haven't told anyone and that also kills me because she thinks I would be bullied and disowned by my friends, they have been nothing but supportive. Can anyone give me some advice on coming out and making sure she understands that bisexuality is a real sexuality.
    Thanks in advance

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If she's offering to take you to a therapist (and you get to choose the therapist), I'd say go for that immediately. Any reputable therapist will affirm that you're bisexual and both help you figure out how to explain that to your mom and perhaps directly talk to your mom about it. That would be a great solution. Just don't go to a Christian counselor or somebody who claims to change sexual orientation.

Most likely, your mom is just going through the stages of loss (denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance), and the things she's saying about rejection are basically a smokescreen for her difficulty accepting things. I think as time goes on, she'll come to terms and be accepting. But in the meantime, hey, I'd never turn down free therapy. :slight_smile:

anotherBI likes this.