1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out To My Parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by thewizard, Mar 12, 2016.

1. thewizard

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I really want to come out to my parents, but I just don't know how to do it. I've come out to my sister and she's told some of her friends, but I only did it because we're super close. I think the problem I have with coming out to my parents is that we're not as close as I am with my sister, but they still deserve to know. I'm almost 100% sure my parents and grandma know, I really want to come out to my grandma because we're very good friends, but I know my parents would be super hurt if I came out to her before I told them. I just am at a loss. I'm ready to come out, but I'm not sure how to handle the awkward conversation that has to happen.

2. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ya its tough, but if you want to come out to them then its a conversation you will have to have. If you think they will take it well then I think you should tell them.

I have not told my parents yet but I plan on telling at least my mom very soon, I will gauge her reaction and base that on weather or not I should tell my dad. Most likely my mom knows and even my dad might, I THINK they will take the news well, but it is still a hard conversation to have much less bring it up to begin with.

idk how old you are but you have probably been thinking about this for a long time, remember that after you tell them you wont have to think about it so much or have it weighing on your shoulders. Thats mostly the reason I'm telling people now.

3. penelope

I almost did not come out to parents at all because I thought that I'd just someday bring a girl home and introduce her as my girlfriend but then I started to be so open about it that I just wanted them to know and there was no girlfriend in sight so. :grin: I didn't have a big "GUESS WHAT YOUR OLDEST DAUGHTER IS GAY" conversation with them, I just kind of took a good moment with my dad and asked if he thought one of my best friends (a guy) was my boyfriend and when he said yes (I knew he would) I just told him that he wasn't my boyfriend and how no one would ever be my boyfriend and then he asked "what about a girlfriend then" and I just said that maybe one day. :grin: With my mom it was like she was asking about a future boyfriend and I was like hold on a second I'm not gonna have one and she asked the same thing as my dad. And they were both like "okay what ever". :grin: And they probably assumed something because I had been talking about cute girls on TV and I had a huge rainbow flag in my room and yeah it was pretty obvious. :grin:

I think that you should just do it, sounds like you're ready and it's safe and even if you'll have to go through an awkward conversation it's gonna be over after that and you can be yourself! :slight_smile: It's the best thing in the world.

4. thewizard

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for both your responses! I think you're both right even though it may be awkward, they deserve to know.