1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out to my Best Friend?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LemurLady, Jul 9, 2018.

1. LemurLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey there. I have a best friend who lives a few hundred miles away, and she is coming to visit soon. I have come out to a few friends in the past as bisexual, but I'm questioning if I should tell her.

I want to be honest with her like we always have been with each other, and I know she cares about me no matter what, but I guess my fear is that she won't accept me because she and her family are Mormon. I'm not saying all religious people are homophobic, in fact I'm Christian myself, but I guess I have that underlying fear that things will suddenly become uncomfortable between us. We've talked about LGBT stuff before, and she believes people should love who they want to love but she finds pride to be slightly annoying. Her mom has said similar. She's also not really one to talk about feelings, but she's always been there for me when I need it, like when my dog died.

I'm not too concerned about this, but I'm just scared about the what if. Sometimes I wonder if I should even continue coming out to people, since I don't make it a big deal. I live my life and then I'm occasionally attracted to the same sex, and besides that you might say I wear straight camouflage. The main reason why I want to do it is so that if I one day if I date a woman she won't get really confused. Please give me some advice, and also please don't give me the whole "Well if she doesn't accept you then you shouldn't be friends." I get it. So in conclusion, should I:
    A. Come out when she comes over
    B. Do it over text or a phone call
    C. Just don't do it
    Thanks guys, the advice would be appreciated.

alwaysforever likes this.
  2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    LemurLady.....Hello and a very big welcome to empty closets! She's your best friend, so you must have known her for a while. You say, "We've talked about LGBT stuff before, and she believes people should love who they want to love". So it sounds like it won't be a big problem. Just because she finds Pride Month irritating is no reason not to tell her. Sometimes I find it irritating too! Again...she is your best friend...don't do it over the phone...tell her when she comes to see you! Hey, let us know how it turns out. You are part of our LGBTQ Family and we do care!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

LemurLady likes this.
  3. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello and welcome to EC! I think you should tell her. I would recommend being prepared for any eventuality, but the risk should be pretty low. Also, it's a safe bet that they might want some time and space to think about this information. You might be surprised by Mormons. I had several childhood friends growing up who where Mormon and they were far more accepting of LGBT people than average. That may not be the norm, but if they are a good friend, they should accept you for who you are. Best of luck!

LemurLady likes this.
  4. callistia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey and welcome! I agree with what quebec and alwaysforever have said. Based on what you’ve said, your friend seems like she’d be accepting. Obviously nothing is a guarantee, but I think it’s very likely that she’ll accept you, especially since you said that she thinks people should love who they want.
    As far as worrying about her feeling uncomfortable, I had a similar worry when I was coming out to two of my closest friends last month. And I found that I didn’t need to worry so much because they were very supportive and accepting and they treated me the same, saying that my sexuality doesn’t change their opinion of me. Your friend could feel uncomfortable, or perhaps not. And even if she does feel uncomfortable at first, she might not feel that way anymore once some time has passed.
    Either way, I think it’s very likely that your friend will accept you. I think that you should come out when she comes over, so you can do it in person. You don’t really have to make a big deal about it if you don’t want to. You can bring up a related topic and then come out. It’s up to you, though. Best wishes! :grin:

LemurLady likes this.
  5. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you should wait till she comes over to come out be more personal

6. LunaMare

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not going to repeat everything the others just said but I just wanted to tell you about a documentary I saw yesterday.

It's called Believer and it's about Dan Reynolds, the singer of Imagine Dragons, trying to create change when it comes to lgbtq acceptance in the mormon church.

I don't know if it's something your friend would like to watch but I think it could defenitely be helpfull. I found it for free on streaming