1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out to Friends

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Pavel, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Pavel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello my friends!

I have some thoughts and ideas. I wanna share them with you.

Primarily, I've come out to almost all my friends and moreover to one person from my town. Their reaction was quite ok. Many were like "It's your personal life. Who am I to judge? I'm gonna communicate with you as usual!" It was a big relief to feel their support and such a great reaction. Furthermore, every next coming out is easier than the previous one.

Nevertheless, I'm gonna talk with very conservative friends. One female friend is my classmate and we've known each other for many years. She has a really bad example of our one common friend, who is openly gay and he is very selfish, dresses like a hooker, and very mannered. In addition, he takes drugs. Anyways, I strongly decided to come out to her today. I'm gonna explain to her the difference between being gay and personal qualities. We are all different in spite of our sexual orientation. It's very obvious, but "Even subjects that are known are known only to a few"(Aristotle).

And the last who should know about me is a couple. The ex-roommate and his pregnant wife. I don't worry about her reaction. She is a more or less modern person. But his reaction might be very negative. He believes in the sanctity of marriage. I remember several years ago he signed the petition against LGBT. He thinks they are equal to zoophiles, pedophiles, and all that. His father(ex-military) and older brother are kind of brutal. So you understand how difficult to come out to those people. In any event, I will tell them. If they don't accept real me and refuse to chat with me anymore - let it be. This situation shows who is a real friend.

In the very beginning, I had the idea to divide my coming out process into two phases. The first phase: come out to my close friends. The second phase: come out to all my colleagues and acquaintances. I will finish the first phase soon and I decided to change the second phase. Why I should tell anyone about my personal life? I'm gonna wait until I find someone(I'm not going to hide him) and sooner or later rumors start to spread. If someone directly asks me about my orientation, I will calmly tell.

In conclusion, I would like to say you no need to afraid to be yourself. Hide and mimic are not a cure. Most likely you will feel pain and loneliness. I went through this and now I feel much better. No matter how hard it is, you better keep going to your future. There is only one life and we should live it happily!

Best wishes

Lyman likes this.
  2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and coming out experience thus far. :slight_smile:

Your story show how confident you are and have reached a point in your life where it doesn't bother you what others think or how they might react to your coming out. You have made some important decisions on how you view your friendships and who is part of your life and who isn't.

How was your coming out to your conservative friend?