1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to family and starting

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Arizonalif, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Arizonalif

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So I'm not sure how to come out to my family about wanting to be female. I always wanna try on women's clothing and when I do it feels good to try them on. I also would like advice on where to start my transition. Please and thank you everyone.

2. Patchworksock

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello, I think the main thing to do is talk to them and make it very clear that this is who you are. They'll have questions, so you also have to make sure that you know as much as possible yourself. There will always be questions you can't answer, but maybe recommending them a few support websites might help if it comes to that? But most importantly, you have to give them time, hopefully they'll be fine with it but it's a big change that they have to get used to.

As for how to start your transition, try look online for things that may help you to look more feminine, as far as medically goes though, I'm afraid I can't be of much help as it works a bit differently here in the UK.

I hope it all goes well for you though!

3. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Arizonalif.....First of all...a very big welcome to empty closets! Being Trans is really difficult. I know how tough it was for me to accept that I was gay. I can not really imagine how difficult it would be to discover that all those "strange" feelings that you have had for years meant that you were in the wrong body. I'd first suggest that you watch some MtF Youtubers. That could give you a lot of insight as to what it takes to go through transition. Finding a qualified LGBTQ Therapist would be another important step. As far as coming out to your family...so much depends on your relationship with them and their attitude towards the LGBTQ Family in general. Sometimes just sitting down with them and telling it like it is can be best. Since you're not a teenager and I am guessing on your own at 26, they might be more inclined to listen to you as an adult. If that doesn't seem like a good idea, often writing a letter can help. Telling a person who knows you so well...especially parents...that you are not who you appear to be can be really difficult. Been there, sobbed and cried through every second of it...waterfall tears. At that time I didn't think about sending a text, email or a letter to prepare the ground. HOWEVER...you can do that! :old_smile: There are some great sample letters here on empty closets that could be a big help to you. Even if you don't eventually use the letter, taking the time to think about it and to write one will help you be sure to say what you need to say and leave out the rest! Check them out...they could be a real comfort!

COMING OUT LETTERS: Go to the Login page, but do not login. At the top, you will see some links. Click on "Resources". That will bring up a page with a box on the upper left. In that box, you will see a link to "Coming out letters". Click that and you are there! I wish you much good luck...you can and will make it!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

Patchworksock likes this.